Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GregF Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2007, 11:24 AM
    Basement floods because of water table
    Our house sits above a relatively shallow water table. We didn't know this when we bought!

We have 2 sump pumps (40g/min & 50g/min) in our sump well, and an interior drain system around the inside of the foundation to pipe the water to the sump. We don't get wall moisture, but after violent storms (like the one that just hit the northeast with 8" of rain), we'll not only see the water rise in the sump, but it's coming in as fast, and occasionally faster, than the 2 pumps can handle it. Also, there are 3 spots in the basement floor where water also seeps up during those events.

We've been told that to recement the floor could lead to bowing of walls from pressure, or even having the water beneath the house either push up the cement or rise up from the ground around the house (we don't want that, we have septic).

Is there any way to eliminate this flooding? Perhaps to extend one of the drain pipes outside and away from the house? Would adding another sump well and pump make a difference?

Our basement is a finished one, and we're getting tired of doing cleanup every year!

Thanks!

Greg F.
    Rockland County, NY
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 18, 2007, 11:41 AM
    About the only thing you can do is add more sump pumps and/or increase the size of the outside french drain. You're fighting Miother Nature and she always wins. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water in basement [ 2 Answers ]

I have lived in my house for over 6 years and never had water in the basement until this past December. The storm sewer grate two houses above me was plugged and water formed a small lake in the street up there. The day the city unplugged the drain up there I got water in my basement. Just a...

Water in basement [ 4 Answers ]

I'm not sure if this is considered a home maintenance or plumbing problem, but I have an 80 year old house, and have lived here 28 years. We have never had water in the basement (other than when the sewer cleanout needed cabling). Suddenly we have water (flowing the last 3 days!). No leaky...

Water in my basement [ 2 Answers ]

I get water in my basement after real bad storms. I have increased the pitch around the house the best I can but unfortuneatly do to poor building design I wasn't left with much room to work with. The water lays in front probably 6 feet in front of the house and pools over walkway and starts...

Water in basement 2 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, basic water on basement floor. Water is sweating/seaping from the bottom of the central air unit. The unit is mounted for vertical blow threw. Drain has been checked and cleared. The unit has a lot of condensation. Drain pan is along the circumference of the heat exchangers, allowing...

View more questions Search