Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KenD Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2009, 08:10 AM
    Heat does not come on when selected on thermostat
    Hello All,
    I need some help here. When I select "cool" and "Auto" on my apartment themostat the AC workes fine , but when I select "Heat" and "Auto" nothing happens. Am I lookinfg at a thermostat issue or a bad relay switch for the heating element inside the unit (It is electric heat by the way)?
    Thanks
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Nov 3, 2009, 08:29 AM
    JUmp the RH or R terminal to the W terminal in the inside unit. This will force the heat on while eliminating the thermostat control. If the unit comes on it is a thermostat problem more than likely if the unit does not come on then the problem is in the furnace itself.
    KenD Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2009, 09:12 AM

Suppose I jump it and electric heat does not come on, what do I test in the outside unit?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Nov 3, 2009, 03:13 PM
    Suppose I jump it and electric heat does not come on, what do I test in the outside unit?

We are working on the inside unit right now.
    OR it might be best to call the landloard and have his prople fix it. You rent a apartment so you should not have to fix the furnace.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacement of Carrier Heat Pump Thermostat with Honeywell TH6000 series thermostat. [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Carrier Series 50QT Electric heat pump that still uses the original non programmable thermostat. I am trying to replace it with Honeywell TH6000 series programmable thermostat. The wiring on the existing Thermostat as follows: O - White, I am thinking this is the Reversing Valve? Y...

No Heat After New Thermostat From Heat Pump [ 3 Answers ]

I had a company come and replace the thermostat last year. I thought it wasn't heating because of the fan not working, and I relaced motor, fan, and capacitor. Well, it is not heating this winter and I think it is because of the way the thermostat was installed. It is a Smart Way Solutions...

A/C & Heat thermostat will not call for heat [ 4 Answers ]

Problem with a/c & heat thermostat Someone in my house knocked the thermostat loose from the wires I bought a new one, the same type, connected it and it will not go on. It will not call for heat. Don't know what to do now. Can anyone suggest anything?

NO HEAT! Janitrol heat pump and AC system. Changing to Lux Thermostat. Wiring issue. [ 11 Answers ]

I have a Janitrol A/C and heat pump system. I replaced the thermostat with a Lux T9000LC The A/C works fine, but the heater does not. I have it wired as follows: G - Green Y - Yellow W - White RH - Pink B -

Heat pump thermostat Aux. Light is going on when no resistance heat used. [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Maple Chase SaverStat thermostat on a Lenox heat pump. The thermostat and heat pump are ten years old. Recently when the heat pump comes on the Aux. light on the thermostat also goes on (not the emergency heat light). I have checked and the auxiliary heat strips and they are not heating...

View more questions Search