Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tmeyer01 Posts: 136, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2006, 07:30 AM
    Deck ledger support
    I am about to put up a ledger board for my deck. I have found the floor truss supports that I will need to bolt to. Well there is about 2 inches of sheet insulation between the end of the floor truss and the sheathing. Will this make a difference? It just seems like the ledger board may not have enough support if each lag bolt has to go through nothing (insulation) for a couple inches before getting to the floor truss which only offiers 1 1/2 inches of wood on the end anyway. I know other houses in the neibhborhood of the same design have decks on them. I've attached a diagram of what I'm talking about.
    Attached Images

skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Apr 3, 2006, 10:26 AM
    No band joist on the truss ends? I've never seen that type of construction. It appears there are some components missing.
    There should be a band joist on the truss ends not just insulation and sheathing. It should be 3/4" ply or 1x material atleast.
    You may want to check w/ your local building inspector to see how he wants you to attach the ledger. You may need supports under the ledger attached to the foundation to prevent shearing of the bolts through the plywood sheathing.
    You'll also need flashing between the sheathing and your ledger. Vinly coil stock is best. It wont "rot" against pressure treated wood.
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

May 8, 2006, 09:16 PM
    I'll bet you dollars to donuts the code for this one calls for a free standing deck. If it were mine, that's what I would do. I would not mess with those trusses! They are engineered a certain way and you will be compromising their structural integrity if you drill into them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Problem with MTD deck [ 14 Answers ]

I removed my deck on my Yard Machine 600 series 42 inch deck. I rebuilt the spindles and sharpened the blades, but when I remounted the deck, I had a problem with everything lining up correctly. If I hook everything up, the chute side of the deck hits the rear tire. It looks like something got...

Deck support post size [ 5 Answers ]

I am building a 12' X 18' foot deck with pressure treated lumber. The 18' will be along the house with 12' joists out from there. I can not find what is required as far as post size. The deck will be 12' high and I planned on using four 4"X6" posts under the beam for support. That will be a post...

General ledger entry [ 5 Answers ]

The transaction is: Pays Green Jacket Co. on account. What 2 ledgers would I use?

Deck Stains [ 4 Answers ]

Hi Folks can any one point me in the right direction in choosing a good deck stain... Something that will. LAST... Thanks much...

Distance of deck posts? [ 3 Answers ]

I'm planning to build a deck attached to the end of my house. It will be 12 feet out from the house. The posts will be 2 x 10" concrete blocks (to be covered with artificial stack rock). How far apart can my posts be. Is 12.4foot centers too far apart? This would cause about 11 foot of span between...

View more questions Search