Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zahradova Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2010, 02:56 PM
    W&T, federal&state income tax refund
    Hi,

I was a Work & Travel participant and worked 4 months in the year 2009 under the J-1 visa (I am from the Czech Republic).

I was trying to do my federal and state tax return but have some doubts;

In previous years I used services of an agent and my adjusted gross income as well as the amounts of federal and state taxes withheld were similar but the numbers I am getting when trying to file myself using the IRS forms are quite different, namely significantly lower.

e.g. in the year 2008, my adjusted gross income $18 603, federal income tax withheld $2143, state (the state I worked in, same as in the year 2009, is Hawaii) income tax withheld $1057. My federal tax refund was over $1012, state tax refund over $750 (I am not sure about the exact numbers as I don't know the service fee deducted from my refund by the agent).

In the year 2009, my adjusted gross income was $20698, federal income tax withheld $2246, state income tax withheld $1180. Filling out the 1040NR-EZ form, I deducted $1180 on line 11 from my AGI (although I was not sure if in this case "salary" equals "wages") and $3650 on line 13 as my exemption. Based on the tax tables, I calculated my tax as $1964 and the federal tax refund as a mere amount of $282.

What did I miss or filled out incorrectly? Are there any special tax rules that apply in the case of a J-1 Exchange Visitor enrolled in the Work&Travel Program?

Similarly and based on the instructions, I filled out form N-15 (for nonresidents in Hawaii) and got a state tax refund of $275... And I also do not know where I made a mistake here...

I can imagine you will say "use the services of the same agent". However, the deadline for filing is in 5 days and I am not sure if the agent can process all documents this fast, whereas I know if I could fill out my forms correctly, I WILL make sure the forms get to IRS in time, using a priority mail service.

I will greatly appreciate your help as well as a comment on what additional forms need to be sent to IRS with 1040NR-EZ in case of J-1 Exchange Visitors enrolled in the Work&Travel Program.

Thank you very much,

Best regards,
    JANA
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 7, 2010, 10:40 AM
    Jana:

If you filed Form 1040NR-EZ, then you failed to deduct your daily living expenses (rent, local transportation, food, incidental costs) during your J-1 tour.

That is probably the reason for the significant difference in your refund for 2009 vice 2008.

If you want professional help to amend your return to claim your daily living expenses, email me at [email protected].

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

US Federal & State Tax Filling - 2007 & 2008 [ 7 Answers ]

HI, Writing WRT my US Tax filling. I require to file my US tax returns for the current and the last year. (i.e. for year 2007 & 2008). I had been to US in 2007 for 44 days starting 09/02/2007 to 10/15/2007 and in 2008 for 42 days starting 11/09/2008 to 12/20/2008. My visa status is H1 B. Due to...

Collectors (law office) Garishing Income & Income Tax Refund? [ 4 Answers ]

I live in the Atlanta, GA area and I brought a house last spring. This summer I start receiving mail and phone calls from a law office regarding a credit card that was closed over 10 years ago, but I paid some money on it after that. So, it has been over 7 years,but a few month under 10 years. ...

K-1 income & allocable federal tax [ 1 Answers ]

I received $3,549 in K-1 income { IRD} It also says that there is $2,413 federal tax Allocable to beneficiary What does that mean to the K-1 income

Federal & State tax not withheld by employer [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, One of my friend's employer didn't withheld federal & state tax for the entire year 2006. Now his current year's tax is around $3,000. Last year's tax was around $275. I want to know, whether he is supposed to pay any penalty or interest? If yes, then is there any option for paying...

F-1 Student, Federal &/vs. State Tax return [ 1 Answers ]

I have a question about the State Tax return. I am a student on an F-1 visa and have been filing the 1040 NR-EZ and 8843 every year (as told by my school). In previous years a treaty prevented any federal or state tax to be withheld from my earnings, but not this past year (treaty with Germany...

View more questions Search