Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HuiLi Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Mar 6, 2010, 06:29 AM
    Carbon dioxide and oxygen
    Why does carbon dioxide and oxygen diffuse in opposite directions? Can anyone explain to me in simple form
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Mar 6, 2010, 09:05 AM

Which are the directions you are referring to? :confused:

In the air, gases diffuse in all directions. Are you talking in a specific area in the body, in a plant?
    HuiLi Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2010, 06:26 AM

It is an area in the body I'm not sure because the question just show a picture wuth headings
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Mar 19, 2010, 08:43 AM

Well, if so, it can either be in the lungs or near cells.

In the lungs, you have a greater concentration of oxygen and a lower concentration of carbon dioxide from the air. From the blood (in the pulmonary artery), you have more carbon dioxide and less oxygen. This is because your cells have used the oxygen for making energy and released carbon dioxide as a by-product. Diffusion of oxygen occurs from the lungs to the blood and carbon dioxide from the blood to the lungs.

Near cells, as I told you, the cells take in oxygen and release carbon dioxide. Hence, there is a lower concentration of oxygen in the cells, and a higher concentration of carbon dioxide in the cells that in the blood (from any artery except pulmonary artery) carrying oxygen and a little carbon dioxide. Therefore, diffusion occurs where oxygen from the blood go into cells and carbon dioxide from the cells to the blood.

I hope it helped! :)
    tool8er Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2010, 09:06 PM

Yes agreed. Think diffusion and why diffusion happens. Alveolar versus venous capillary (external respiration) and arterial capillary versus tissue (internal respiration). Nomenclature and convention = PAO2 (calculated)/PACO2, (PAO2 = {(Pb - PH2O) x FIO2} - (PaCO2 x 1.25)) versus PaO2/PaCO2 and PvO2mixed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sulfur dioxide plus carbon dioxide [ 1 Answers ]

Per Myhrvold's idea (Fareed Zakaria, CNN) for solving global warming, adding a certain volume of sulfur dioxide mist at a certain rate to the outer atmosphere will help to reflect sunlight by 1 degree, which will "check" the amount of carbon dioxide which is responsible for what is believed to be...

Carbon dioxide [ 1 Answers ]

What is the mass of carbon dioxide

Carbon Dioxide [ 1 Answers ]

How do you find volume of Carbon dioxide?

View more questions Search