Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ecneira Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2006, 09:52 AM
    USB Portable Hard Drive
    I have an existing hard drive that was formatted to be a slave (without OS) and has data already on it. I removed the hard drive from the machine and plugged it into a USB Portable Hard Drive. My computer will not recognize that the external hard drive is present. I do not want to erase the data on the hard drive. I want to be able to use it as back-up on 2 different machines.
    Please help me.:confused:
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 16, 2006, 10:23 AM
    Do you mean a portable hard drive enclosure? Are you sure its compatible with the hard drive? Did you check the CMOS settings to see what it says about drives?

Oct 16, 2006, 10:32 AM
    It is an enclosure. I believe it is compatible and currenty I'm trying to play around with the master / slave / cs settings to see if any of them work. Any insight?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 16, 2006, 10:36 AM
    Set the master slave jumper as CS. The drive is connected via USB not IDE or SATA so that doesn't apply.

Oct 16, 2006, 10:52 AM
    Thanks for the help, I'm going to try that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hard drive easy question! Help! And 1 hard one! [ 6 Answers ]

undefined I have two questions first is the hard one I tried out a trial version of "folder locker" which locks up and encrypts (I guess) your deata so no one else can see it when they are on your computer.. it also lkets you lock down entire drives.. so somehow I went to lock down my o drive and...

USB External Hard Drive (drive connect problem) [ 7 Answers ]

After connecting my external hard drive to a usb port. Assigns to a used drive F. to get to the ext hd I have to disconnect F then I'm able to open the ext hd. How can I get the ext. hd to go to the next available drive letter or can I assign one?

No Volume Label- Hard drive in USB case [ 10 Answers ]

I have taken a 120 gig hard drive from another computer and put it into an external case plugged into my laptop through USB. The Laptop, running XP, recognises the device and I can drill down to see the drive but no label has been assigned and I can't access the disk. The disk management tool...

Usb Drive Scam [ 4 Answers ]

I had purchased a 512mb USB 5 in 1 Mp3 Player. And when I formatted it, the memory got reduced to 256mb disk, even I used complete 497 mb storage before formatting. But after formatting I was surprised to see that it became 256mb drive. Is there any solution for this problem. When I asked...

View more questions Search