Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mselbe Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2011, 10:00 PM
    Dog won't eat from bowl
    We have a 1 yr. old Shih Tzu that suddenly stopped eating from his bowl. He always ate from it before. The only phrase I can think of to describe it is that he is terrified of his bowl. He will growl and whine at it. However, if we put the food on the floor, he eats it, but won't come near the bowl. We have tried switching bowls, location of the bowl, a plate... nothing. We tried the "tough love" approach - he went 5 days without eating. He is clearly famished and checks the bowl out often, but just won't eat. He gobbles up whatever we put on the floor, though. Any ideas?
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jan 28, 2011, 04:17 AM

Something may have happened to him to make him fearful of the bowl. It could be something as simple a static shock from the bowl.

I would try giving him a piece of food from your hand just above the bowl.
    Then give him another piece but closer to the bowl.
    Another piece nearly touching the bowl and then another piece so it's sitting in the bowl but just with your finger touching it.

Repeat as often as you can or if he won't even take food when you are near the bowl start further away. Put the bowl a good 3-4 feet away from you and gradually move closer to it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My dog will not eat his food unless I add a hard cooked egg to eat is that Ok [ 7 Answers ]

My dog will not eat his dog food (Beneiful healthy weight) He is approx 18 lbs I have tried everything Now I finally got a flat plate put his dog food and other little flavors added olive oil a touch he nibbles but when I add a hard cooked egg he eat it all. Is it healthy for a dog to have a...

Why my dog won't eat out of his bowl [ 5 Answers ]

Well my dog roman will not eat out of his bowl! He is a German sheperd/rotweiller mix (very nice dog). We rescued him from a shelter and from the beginning he was very skittish but has warmed up. THe only thing is that he got scared of his bowls I guess it moved a little and it scared him and know...

My shihtzu will not eat from a bowl or dish? [ 2 Answers ]

My 3 yr old shihtzu will not eat from a bowl or plate, only from the floor. She is not a big eater and I give her both canned and dry food. Why won't she eat from a bowl or flat plate? She is otherwise healthy

My dog won't eat food out of his bowl? [ 3 Answers ]

My golden retreiver will only eat his food off the floor or out of your hand.

Dog Won't Eat from a Bowl [ 3 Answers ]

My dog, a Shih Tzu REFUSES to eat from a bowl. She will eat off the floor or from your hand but not out of a bowl. She also won't eat off a plate. I made a big mistake about a year ago - she wouldn't eat her kibble so I hand fed it to her in the morning. Then she started to refuse her evening...

View more questions Search