Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CJ99 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2009, 06:30 PM
    Snapper rear rider wants to die when clutch is engaged
    Snapper Model 281123BVE 11 HP starts right up and idles good until the clutch/brake is released. Then is loses most of the power and barely spits and sputters. I have cleaned the carburetor, replaced the spark plug, fuel filter, air filter and cleaner. The seat switch, deck switch and rear operator presence control switch have all been replaced and the gas tank was drained and replaced with fresh gas. This all started shortly after replacing the original mulching blade with a gator blade made for the Snapper rear rider. I was able to cut grass for about an hour before the problem started happening. I changed the blade back to the original blade and the problem continues to happen. It also doesn't matter if the blade is engaged or not, the problem exists every time the clutch/brake is released, and no matter what gear it's in. Most of the similar problems I have read about indicate the problem is the interlock switches (especially the seat switch), but they have all been replaced. Any other suggestions?
    crigby Posts: 4,343, Reputation: 107
    Outdoor Power Equipment Expert

Nov 15, 2009, 07:26 PM

Hi,
    I would say the blade replacement was merely an unlucky coincidence. You seem to have a failing ignitiion.
    Peae,
    Clarke
    PS Thank you for the voluminous description; it takes that at times. I may not be right, but your description leads me there.

Nov 15, 2009, 07:34 PM

Thanks crigby! What needs to be replaced for a failing ignition?

Nov 15, 2009, 07:38 PM

Hi,
    Merely the ignition module (armature) is the culprit. I can tell part numbers with engine numbers; or I could tell you where to find them (and others) for yourself.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Nov 15, 2009, 07:44 PM

Thanks, a part number would be nice.
    KUXJ Posts: 975, Reputation: 97

Nov 16, 2009, 12:14 AM
    Hi, CJ,
    Clarke will need the #'s off the engine builder plate.

Nov 16, 2009, 09:55 AM

Hi,
    KUXJ is correct; three Briggs and one Honda engines used on that machine. It is actually possible to look that much up on the numbers given. Your model number tells me it is 28" with 11HP engine and series #23. The BVE is a sub-series.
    Peace,
    Clarke

Nov 16, 2009, 08:08 PM
    Hi,
    Thanks for your help crigby and KUXJ. Decided to have someone more familiar with ignition modules replace it for me by the end of the week.

Nov 22, 2009, 07:43 PM
    Thanks again to everyone. The problem turned out to be a faulty interlock module- part
    #7063064.
    KUXJ Posts: 975, Reputation: 97

Nov 22, 2009, 09:09 PM
    Your welcome CJ99, glad to hear your up an runnin' again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What oil does my Snapper Rider take? [ 2 Answers ]

I purchased a used Snapper riding mower and don't have any manuals with it and can't find anywhere on the body or the dipstick what kind of oil it uses. Help?

How to replace the clutch on a snapper rider mower [ 1 Answers ]

How do you replace the clutch on a Snapper Riding mower? I have a 1992 Snapper model 301413KVE. Thanks

Adjust Mower Deck of Snapper Rear Engine Rider [ 1 Answers ]

I need to raise the mower deck of my Snapper rear engine rider. It has a single blade with 30-inch cutting width. Currently, when lever is in upper-most position (#6) the blade still scalps portions of my lawn. I have looked through some online manuals but they are a bit confusing. Help...

Snapper rider [ 2 Answers ]

We have a snapper rider 5 speed disc 12 hp b&s got the engine running good. Now I can't get it to move. Clutch works, 5 speed shifter, deck drops, blades ingauge. Any ideas? Cause I got 5 other mowers and 2 weedeaters I need to get running.

Snapper rear engine rider moves slow [ 1 Answers ]

I have an 1989 snapper rear engine rider with an 8 hp briggs. The engine is I feel plenty strong and doesn't smoke or use oil (it's been in the garage unused for about 7-8 years up till a month ago) but gradually over the years it's lost it's speed. I thought it might have an internal clutch going...

View more questions Search