Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dellicate Posts: 104, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2012, 10:03 AM
    Trimming a pine tree
    My husband trimmed our two pine trees this morning and I am very concerned. Some branches are very short, I told him not to trim them down to the branch but he did it anyway. Will this burn and harm the tree in direct sunlight? Please advise, I took a photo... Thanks
    Attached Images

ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jun 7, 2012, 11:09 AM
    Those look like Arborvitae. You can absolutely massacre them and they will grow back, but you must leave some green on each branch. If there is still a bit of green on each branch by next summer it will have filled back in nicely. But if the green is totally cut away to just bare branches, those branches may not sprout new greenery. See: http://www.aboutarborvitae.com/pruning_arborvitae.shtml and http://www.doityourself.com/stry/how...-an-arborvitae
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 7, 2012, 11:36 AM
    I doubt that these are arborvitae since I see needles rather than the almost leaf like clusters found on arborvitea. In any case it is what it is, there is no turning back. Many evergreens will fill back in over time but it may take one or two full seasons of growth. Water them thoroughly once a month until late Sept. Do not try to add fertilizer this season.Where do you live and have you ever had your soil tested?

Jun 17, 2012, 02:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    Those look like Arborvitae. You can absolutely massacre them and they will grow back, but you must leave some green on each branch. If there is stil a bit of green on each branch by next summer it will have filled back in nicely. But if the green is totally cut away to just bare branches, those branches may not sprout new greenery. See: Pruning Arborvitae and How to Prune an Arborvitae | DoItYourself.com
    These trees grow red berries in fall. They also had become light green and were getting real bushy, that's why he trimmed them. Luckily, some of the branches are growing green again. That was a close one.

Jun 17, 2012, 02:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    I doubt that these are arborvitae since I see needles rather than the almost leaf like clusters found on arborvitea. In any case it is what it is, there is no turning back. Many evergreens will fill back in over time but it may take one or two full seasons of growth. Water them thoroughly once a month until late Sept. Do not try to add fertilizer this season.Where do you live and have you ever had your soil tested?
    I think they are yew trees, I live in Maryland. They are very bright green and lush, just beautiful. I do give them a few gallons of water when it very hot. They already are starting to fill in. Its very hot sun here.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

State of pa law on tree trimming? [ 5 Answers ]

Who has control of tree pruning in Allentown Pa? I read the state laws on limbs over neighbors roof and they say neighbor can have them cut , Allentown park department says they have say so. The tree is a Sycamore They state shade tree ordinance #14863.They state between curb and side is home...

Crowded Pine Tree by Firs how to prune to free Pine [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Pine tree that over the years has been crowded out by surrounding Fir trees. The trees are about 24ft apart and 90 feet tall. In a row. The Pine basically only has green up by the top. If I trim off some of the surrounding fir branches will the bare Pine branches regrow needles? Once it...

Tree Trimming - Washington State [ 2 Answers ]

I have a neighbor that reaches over my fence to trim my tree branches that are hanging on her side of the fence. She then throws the cut branches in my yard to clean up. I know she's allowed to cut the tree limbs at the fence line or she should come over and tell me to cut them; however, she...

Tree Trimming Etiquette [ 6 Answers ]

My neighbor has a very large bradford pear tree in their front yard that is planted about 5' from our property line. This neighbor does not trim this tree and the tree has overgrown so much that a large limb protrudes to our drive way over our parked cars. We have asked these neighbors in the past...

View more questions Search