Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jankh Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2007, 11:49 AM
    Type of tax form needed NY & CA
    Hi:
    Re 2006 taxes, I've lived in California entire 2006 and actually bacame a resident in October 2006. However, I worked in NY in 2005 and some money owed to me was paid in 2006, so I received a 2006 W2 from my previous NY employer. Appreciate if you can let me know if (a) I have to file NY State income tax and (b) if yes what forms would I need to file for CA and NY. Thank you in advance.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 30, 2007, 11:19 AM
    If NY taxes were withheld, you should file a NY tax return as a non-resident to get a complete refund of the withheld taxes; NY state has no claim on your 2006 income since you were NOT resident in NY in 2006.

For NY, the Form is IT-203.

For California, the Form is Form 540.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can you file more than one w2 form on one nys tax form or do you need additional forms? [ 1 Answers ]

We live in nys and my friend has had 3 different jobs throughout the year. Does he file all w2's on one form or have a form for each?

F1OPT -> H1, tax form and tax treaty [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I was on F1 from 1998 to 2004, F1 OPT from July 2004 - July 2005, and H1 since July 2005. I'm working at the same job since my F1 OPT (so I have one W-2 form). In 2005, I was in the US with H1-B for less than 183 days, but I have been hear long enough with F1 visa, so I don't know if 1. I...

Help needed: Form to file 1040NR? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Before I start with my question, Thanks to AtlantaTaxExpert for patiently answering the questions to all.It does really help us many reading your posts. I got most of the information I require from the questions other people have asked. I am trying to follow this post for my decisions...

3 yr. Old & type 1 diabetes? Hereditarily. [ 2 Answers ]

I have 3 children: 6 yr. old girl, 3 yr. old son, and a 5 month old daughter. The two younger ones' father has type 1 juvenile diabetes. He has to take insulin shots several times a day. I know that my children have only a slightly higher change to develop diabetes than others, but that still is...

View more questions Search