Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ankara55t Posts: 53, Reputation: 2

Jul 12, 2009, 02:28 PM
    Precipitation to separate metal ions
    A solution in a vat is found to contain varying quantities of silver, barium and iron(III) ions.
    What procedure could be used for separating the metal ions by precipitation?

Would I simply add something like water and see what precipitates out? Or would I add something like lead nitrate? I really don't know where to begin.
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jul 12, 2009, 06:16 PM

You need to look at your tables of solubility. You're not going to want to add other metal ions, except possibly alkali metal ions like sodium or potassium that are almost impossible to precipitate.

Concentrate on the anion. Especially think of things like chloride, sulfide, carbonate, hydroxide. Also, think about pH. Some metal chlorides, for example, will precipitate in acid solution. Others are very soluble. Hydroxides will, obviously, not precipitate in acidic solution, but might precipitate in weakly basic or strongly basic solutions. Bubbling hydrogen sulfide into solutions is a classic method of performing qualitative analysis. Some sulfides will precipitate in acidic solution. Others will not precipitate until the solution becomes basic.

Since the vat contains a solution, it presumably is a solution in water.

Here are some solubility rules that will help you. Look for the ions of interest:

Erik's Chemistry: Solubility Rules

Solubility Rules

Solubility Rules

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

For every mole of Pb+2 ions that are formed, how many moles of Cl- ions are formed? [ 1 Answers ]

PbCl2(s) = Pb+2(aq) + 2Cl -(aq). For every mole of Pb+2 ions that are formed, how many moles of Cl- ions are formed? I know the Atomic weight is 35.45 but how do you change grams to moles?

Biome precipitation [ 4 Answers ]

Which biome has the least precipitation?

Precipitation [ 2 Answers ]

What balanced equation do you get when you add colorless sodium hydroxide to blue copper (II) nitrate to produce a light blue precipitate?

View more questions Search