Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    andie281973 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2008, 02:05 PM
    Docked pay because PTO is gone, but I am a salary employee. Can he do this?
    :confused: I am a salary employee in the state of NY.
    I have 15 days of PTO(paid time off)
    I just got a email from my boss telling me he docked me 3 days pay, because I was over my 15 day limit of PTO.
    Is it legal for him to do this?
    It was my assumption that as salary employees you got paid for time worked no mater what.

Also I get paid salary the 15 if it falls on a Saturday I get paid the Friday before on a Sunday the Monday after. This past 15 I did not get paid... it took a full week for my direct deposit to come in, and it was only a partial payment a there was a screw up with our Payroll Co. IS this legal?
    helpnow Posts: 83, Reputation: 6

Aug 25, 2008, 02:58 PM
    Do you get paid overtime?

If yes then most likely yes you are salary but they break it down by the hour and would charge you for those 3 days off.

If no then you may need to have a chat with HR
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 25, 2008, 03:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by andie281973
    :confused: I am a salary employee in the state of NY.
    I have 15 days of PTO(paid time off)
    I just got a email from my boss telling me he docked me 3 days pay, because I was over my 15 day limit of PTO.
    Is it legal for him to do this?
    It was my assumption that as salary employees you got paid for time worked no mater what.

Also I get paid salary the 15 if it falls on a Saturday I get paid the Friday before on a Sunday the Monday after. This past 15 I did not get paid... it took a full week for my direct deposit to come in, and it was only a partial payment a there was a screw up with our Payroll Co. IS this legal?

Need a little more info - were you actually docked which would be you worked 3 days and were not paid for them ever?

OR - did you get paid for 15 days of time off, you only were entitled to 12 and so the 3 days you worked were sort of paid in advance as part of your PTO?

If you owe your employer for 3 days it makes sense that they paid you as part of your PTO, realized it, you owe them 3 days. If you worked 3 days and not getting paid some sort of punishment for taking too much PTO, then it isn't legal.

If you owe them money (for example, the 3 days you didn't earn but were paid for) it is at the employer's discretion how to collect from you. May not be fair but that's how it works.

Yes, a mistake is legal. A deliberate attempt to not pay you is not legal.

Keep in mind that the truth of the matter is that NYS is an employment at will state - if you do anything the employer doesn't like (and you are not Union) you can be let go for absolutely no reason. If he doesn't like the color of your shoes, poof! You're gone. So I would think that over before complaining - how many days late were you paid when payroll made the mistake?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 25, 2008, 03:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by helpnow
    Do you get paid overtime?

If yes then most likely yes you are salary but they break it down by the hour and would charge you for those 3 days off.

If no then you may need to have a chat with HR

Salaried employees do not get overtime - that's the difference between salaried and hourly - unless there is a specific agreement. Even then it's a conflict in language/terms.

Fair Labor Standards Act in 2004 changed the salary/overtime/hourly laws and the Courts have been extremely busy with this exact question. Employees were reclassified to "salaried" in order to avoid paying them overtime.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Aug 25, 2008, 07:48 PM
    Actually, as I am reading the situation, the OP has 15 PTO days. The OP used said days, and then took another 3 days off. It appears that the OP is of the opinion that, since he is salaried, and not being paid per hour, that the company should still pay him for those 3 days, even though he wasn't at work. As far as I know, the company does not have to pay you for those days if you do not come in, although most of the companies I have worked for have been very understanding about "comp time", and would just not mention it to payroll if they felt that you had worked enough additional hours that the company was coming out essentially even. But honestly, I haven't ever pushed the issue, so I don't know for sure whether they can dock your pay or not.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 25, 2008, 08:12 PM
    Well in all my years of being on salary, you get paid your salary regardless. If and when they start docking pay, they open thierself up to having to pay overtime for all the work over. *** Ship and Shore had this issue, cost them a small fortune some years ago.

But I would say if you want to push it, go see a labor attorney, I wlll say once you decide to sue the company, start looking for another job, your days there will be numbered.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2008, 06:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    Well in all my years of being on salary, you get paid your salary regardless. If and when they start docking pay, they open thierself up to having to pay overtime for all the work over.
    While I understand the theory behind this, I am pondering the following:if the law really says that salaried gets paid regardless of being at work, why do salaried employees need PTO in the first place? For example, I have 15 days of vacation at my current employer. If there's not a law that says that the company doesn't have to pay you for days that you aren't at work, I wouldn't need vacation days... I could just not show up that many days. So now I am curious.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Aug 27, 2008, 04:52 AM
    So in essence you took 18 days PTO. What part of you only had 15 days of PTO and you took an additional 3 days off that you think you are entitled to? Last time I looked, a person only gets paid for doing their job, not staying at home. I believe the state paid you accordingly as you had already used up your allotted 15 days PTO previously. Why do you think you are entitled to the additional 3 days? The state is no different than a private employer in figuring out how to pay an employee. As it is you seem to have generous time off and you want more.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Salary worker docked for missed time, but not paid overtime [ 5 Answers ]

We just had a corporate company take over the dental office I work for. I was given the position of manager with a salary. They gave me an hourly wage increase to adjust for the overtime and bonus we were losing. I have over 30 hours of overtime not paid in the past 4 weeks. When I took 2 days...

Salaried Exempy Employee paycheck docked 1 week pay for arriving 5 hours late [ 5 Answers ]

Hello all, A friend and former colleague's paycheck was docked 1 week of pay (approx $2,000) for arriving at work 5 hours late due to car problems. She is a salaried exempt employee in the state of Connecticut. She receives 4 weeks vacation each year, and has over 2 weeks of accrued, unused...

Can a employee sue a manager for their salary [ 2 Answers ]

Hi my name is raul I am a manager and member of a LLC which owned a store Recently one of our employee quits last week and she has some dispute about her worked hours she went to court and filed a claim puttting my name as defendant my question is can I challenge in court that my name should not...

Salary Employee Laws [ 4 Answers ]

Is it legal for the employer to deduct hours from a salaried employee, even though the employee has worked more than eight hours a day everyday and never received overtime pay, do to the fact that he/she is salary only. The employee wants to leave early one day of the week and employer threatened...

Can I Take An Employee from Salary to only Hourly [ 1 Answers ]

We have an employee who exhausts her salary pay by only getting less than lets say 32 hours or more sometimes a week. She is nonexempt and gets overtime for anything over 40 hours. She has assistance on the overtime and never does it alone. Can we change an employee from salary to hourly only.

View more questions Search