Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alexi67 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 17, 2008, 01:32 PM
    AC is turing off main power switch in the fuse box!
    During Hurricane Ike, my house lost power and after the storm, when power came everything was all right except the ac. When I went to the fuse box(breaker), I saw the AC switch was OFF. When I flicked it to ON, it turned the main power switch to OFF and the whole house went dark again. I tried a couple more times but with same result. The main power switch stays at ON only when the ac switch is OFF. I can't figure why its tripping the main power switch. Please help, I got a new born in the house and its starting to get hot and humid in here..
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Sep 17, 2008, 01:55 PM
    Did anything in the A.C. get wet? If it did you probably still have some water or moisture shorting out a couple of wires either in the A.C. or the lines running to it. You will need an OHM meter to check out if you have some grounded hot wires.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 17, 2008, 02:39 PM
    Several HVAC manufacturers have put out statements regarding situations such as yours. Do not try to operate the AC until a knowledgeable repair person can check it out. Letmetellu is starting you toward that end but do you feel comfortable working around 240 volts. If not, call a HVAC contractor or repair service.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I think my son is turing into my husband! [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 5 year old little girl, and 3 year old boy/girl twins. My son ( who is the oldest of the twins) is with his two sisters and I all day, everyday. He has started not listening to me, and yelling at me. Talking back to me. Throwing these little tantrums. Throwing things. Some might think its...

Power out, but not a fuse [ 4 Answers ]

I was working in the garage and the power went out but I didn't blow a fuse. What could be the problem?

Yamaha virago 250 blowing main fuse [ 4 Answers ]

My yamaha virago 259cc keeps blowing the main fuse, it will run till its gets warm, then blow the main fuse, if I replace the fuse and turn on the ignition key while the bike is still warm then the fuse blows again straight away anyone experience this before?

John Deere blowing main fuse [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I have a JD L130 lawn tractor with a Kohler Command 23 engine(23 HP). I bought this used with 300 hours on it.. It ran great for the first 2 times I mowed then it started blowing the 20 amp fuse when I turned the key on.. I found the connector for the lights melted together, snipped it...

Engine fuse blown, fixed, now stereo won't get power [ 2 Answers ]

The other day I had to jump my 95 nissan sentra. The cables got crossed and the main engine 75amp fuse got blown. I had it brought into the service shop and they made sure everything checked out and it all did, but the only problem I'm having is that the stereo doesn't seem to be working at all. ...

View more questions Search