Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ConfusednCobb Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2010, 03:22 PM
    Can you be arrested in the state of Georgia for child abandonment? Even if you have n
    Can you be arrested in the state of Georgia for child abandonment? Even if you have never even taken a paternity test? I don't even know if the child is mine!! As it may very well be, because I did have unprotected sex with this girl. But, how can a warrant be put out for my arrest solely based on her word against mine, or the lack there of?! We never went to court or took a test period!! I got arrested last month on child abandonment charges for a baby I've never met, and I haven't even spoken to the chick since she told me she was pregnant and keeping it. We were never together or in a relationship or anything special. I can count on 1 hand how many times we slept together and one of those times was a threesome! Not trying to say that the child can't be mine but how can you put a warrant out for someone because one person says I slept with him and the baby is his?! Im so angry now that it makes me want to give her the hardest time I can!! How does this child abandonment charge work? Don't you have to know someone in order to abandon them? Please help!!
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Oct 15, 2010, 03:33 PM

Was there a default judgement against you that you are aware of? Have they asked you for child support prior to all of this? Did you get any registered mail that you refused?
    ConfusednCobb Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2010, 03:59 PM
    Comment on califdadof3's post
    No registered mail that Im aware of... I live with several other people so I can't confirm that. No prior judgements. Just her stating that the kid is mine and me being arrested about 3-4 months later.
    prichards Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2010, 07:05 PM
    No! Child abandonment no. You may have to pay child support, even if it's not your baby. I f she puts your name on the birth certificate.
    Keiana Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2011, 05:22 PM
    If you know you may be the father than you need to contact the woman. THe fact that you are abandoning the child may leave you liable, but you contact her and attempt to give your child and the girl some financial or emotional support than you can't be prosecuted for child abandonment.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 3, 2011, 05:42 PM

In GA abandonment is merely not paying child support,
    She may have went to children's services and filed listing you as the father. Or even went to court and got a order. It is hard to tell without knowing more.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child Abandonment in Georgia [ 8 Answers ]

What papers can a layman file, and what county do you file in? The father has not paid child support for 60+ days. He lives in Georgia, but in a differen t county than where the mother and child live.

Child abandonment in Georgia [ 1 Answers ]

L have been separated (not married) from the Non-Custodial parent for the almost 3 years my child has been. The non-custodial parent and l have agreed that he were to pay 425.00 a mo for our son's daycare. He hasn't given me a dime, each time we set arrangements to meet, he never showed up. He has...

How to file for child abandonment in the state of Georgia. [ 4 Answers ]

I move to Ga. About 5yrs ago. I have a NJ child support order. The other parent lives in Ca. I haven't received child support in over 6 months going on 7 months. My case worker here in Ga. Reached out to the state of Ca and was told CA will not enforce my case if the other parent is unemployed to...

Child Abandonment Laws in Georgia.. [ 6 Answers ]

Fairy Tale Beginning... I moved in with a family to be their nanny. Fell in love with the boy that I take care of. Then fell in love with his father. But his father still isn't divorced... My boyfriend's wife won't sign the divorce papers because she doesn't understand that there can not...

View more questions Search