Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    uptheriver Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2007, 11:40 AM
    Judgement on credit card
    If a judgement is placed against you for credit card debt how long does is last?
    Also can the law firm representing the credit card company(discover) take any personal property.. such as automobiles that are owned or your home
    The credit card is approx 6,000; and I don't have any means to pay or even make a settlement offer; if I did I wouldn't be in this situation.
    I live in PA.
    Any advise will be appreciated.
    krittengirl Posts: 63, Reputation: 14

Apr 24, 2007, 12:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by uptheriver
    If a judgement is placed against you for credit card debt how long does is last?
    Also can the law firm representing the credit card company(discover) take any personal property.. such as automobiles that are owned or your home
    The credit card is approx 6,000; and I don't have any means to pay or even make a settlement offer; if I did I wouldn't be in this situation.
    I live in PA.
    Any advise will be appreciated.
    A satisfied judgement stays on your credit report for 7 years in PA. And if you do not make arrangements to pay and stick with them then the law firm can at least have your bank account frozen and garnish your wages.
    Remember what the company wants is to get their money. See if you can offer to pay even 10 or 20 dollars a month. Even though it will take a long while they will see that you are attempting to pay off the debt and not trying to stiff them. It is better to make small payments every month than to make a larger payment less often. They like to see consistency and that you are thinking about paying the debt.
    jphicks Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Apr 25, 2007, 09:53 AM
    Obviously, Pennsylvania is not a very debtor friendly state and if your bank account can be frozen and wages garnished, the first answer is pretty much on target. Now, seems to me, a new bank account at a different bank might be in order and in someone else’s name with you as an authorized user might be an option.

Did you ever sign a contract with this credit card company? Not an application, a contract? Do they have any written, dated and signed instrument that they could present in court to prove you entered into a valid contract with them? Sales slips don’t qualify as they are not a valid contract.

Pat Hicks
    Home
    [email protected]
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 25, 2007, 10:01 AM
    Generally a judgement will last 10 years, but its renewable. Usually at least for another 10 years. Sometimes it can be renewed indefinitely.

Usually they will not go after personal property and primary residences are usually exempt. At worst they might be able to place a lien on the residence. But that only means you can't sell the property until you satisify the lien.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is a judgement by a credit card [ 5 Answers ]

What does it mean when a credit card company has a judgement against you?

Credit card judgement [ 4 Answers ]

I recently received a notice of a hearing scheduled to place judgement on me for a credit card debt of one thousand dollars. My husband lost his job 2 years ago and I was trying to support my whole family on a small income so my credit card payments got put aside in order to put food on the table...

Credit card judgement [ 1 Answers ]

I Am Wondering How Far Behind On Your Payments With Major Credit Company You Have To Be Before It Gets Turn Over For Collection And Then To A Court For Judgement? Al

Credit card judgement [ 1 Answers ]

My husband has a credit card judgement against him. The company attempted to garnish his checking account - which has no money in it. He has attempted to contact them for 2 weeks to make payment arrangements. No one is returning his calls. What can he do next? Also can a credit card company...

View more questions Search