Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ciddie1 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2008, 08:19 AM
    New wax seal, now water backing up
    When we replaced a toilet, the wax seal did not seat properly, I finally nagged my husband to fix, he replaced it yesterday, and it seated. Then when I took shower, commode started gurgling, then water backed up in shower in other room, and both toilets where low in water. This morning seemed fine, did a load of wash, and now brown water in both tub and shower and both commodes doing same thing, low water level in toilet. Husband say's that the septic is full, but it didn't start until he reseated the commode. I have not used any extra water, so I think it need to snake the vent on the roof for an air pocket?
    Help, I really don't want to call a plumber for something like that, unemployed and on very limited funds.
    Ciddie1
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Mar 3, 2008, 08:53 AM
    Hi Ciddie

How long has it been since the septic got pumped out? It would be quite a coincidence to have septic backed up with fact that work was just done on main size pipe (toilet).

I would not start snaking from the roof vent quite yet. Take a step at a time. There should be a main cleanout in your basement (going to septic) or it may be just outside near the foundation wall. Remove that plug/cap and see if pipes are backed up (flush toilet a few times... or run washing machine (have someone running it and watching to be sure does not overflow onto floor or out a shower or similar) ). If the main is plugged you should hear some gurgling/burping, etc. and could be that the septic is plugged.. OR the main drain pipe OR pipe INLET into septic is plugged (would need to remove inspection ports/covers at septic tank to see this).

Anyway, you have an interesting situation... I have to advise you to take one step at a time:

1) check main cleanout
    2) check main line backed up... may try to snake drain at this point
    3) see if can remove inspection ports off septic tank and look inside (see very rough pic. I attached to this file.. gives basic idea of inspection ports... sometimes the tee inlet clogs).
    4) pump septic tank if you/hubby thinks it has been awhile since last done
    5) snake drain again, if not totally clear (this would suggest that you may not have needed to pump septic).

Seems to me that something got down the drain line when your husband worked on the drain... like say, the old wax gasket or part thereof... but that will be hard to get him to admit.. ;)

I would not want to be in your shoes! Hey, I know I did not help much... *sorry*... just check things systematically and problem should reveal itself.. *crossing fingers*
    Attached Images

ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 3, 2008, 09:18 AM
    Yep, got to agree that this would be a heck of a coincidence. Being a husband myself I can imagine a few scenarios that could account for this coincidence. Your husband may have been embarrassed by the privious failure of the wax ring so he may have doubled the rings or used and oversized ring just to make sure. Too much wax can gush over when the toilet is setted and that wax can block the toilet trap of get a bit further into the drain line and cause a clog. Follow the steps MASS has outlined, I think your clog is too far down stream to reach with a toilet auger.

Mar 3, 2008, 10:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by massplumber2008
    Hi Ciddie

How long has it been since the septic got pumped out? It would be quite a coincidence to have septic backed up with fact that work was just done on main size pipe (toilet).

I would not start snaking from the roof vent quite yet. Take a step at a time. There should be a main cleanout in your basement (going to septic) or it may be just outside near the foundation wall. Remove that plug/cap and see if pipes are backed up (flush toilet a few times...or run washing machine (have someone running it and watching to be sure does not overflow onto floor or out a shower or similar) ). If the main is plugged you should hear some gurgling/burping, etc., and could be that the septic is plugged..OR the main drain pipe OR pipe INLET into septic is plugged (would need to remove inspection ports/covers at septic tank to see this).

Anyway, you have an interesting situation.....I have to advise you to take one step at a time:

1) check main cleanout
    2) check main line backed up...may try to snake drain at this point
    3) see if can remove inspection ports off septic tank and look inside (see very rough pic. I attached to this file..gives basic idea of inspection ports....sometimes the tee inlet clogs).
    4) pump septic tank if you/hubby thinks it has been awhile since last done
    5) snake drain again, if not totally clear (this would suggest that you may not have needed to pump septic).

Seems to me that something got down the drain line when your husband worked on the drain....like say, the old wax gasket or part thereof....but that will be hard to get him to admit..;)

I would not want to be in your shoes!! Hey, I know I did not help much...*sorry*....just check things systematically and problem should reveal itself..*crossing fingers*
    RESULTS:
    Well guys, thanks for your help, but as it turned out, I was right, there must have been an air pocket from the leaking toilet seal. Air probably got in the line because it wasn't seated right. I went and rented the snake. I ran it down both vent pipes from the roof, without turning on the cutters. I sent it as far down as it would go, pumped it up and down a couple of times. Did one bathroom first, that seemed to fix that one, then went to master bath and did the same thing again. Did it for the commode as well as tub. That seemed to fix it. Both commodes are flushing fine, no water filling back in the tubs. Now running washing machine to see if it is truly fixed. Washing machine is draining fine, no back up.
    So thank you gents, just add that one to your "who'uv" thunk it list!
    GIRL Power!

Mar 3, 2008, 10:39 AM
    Glad you got it working but the air pocket concept is a bit off. Air is present in your drain lines pretty much 24/7/365. When you flush or drain the waste pushes the air down the line and also pulls air in behind it. That gurgling was your shower drain line not finding a good vent so it vented via the toilet. You likely moved whatever was blocking your vent. Good job GIRL

Mar 3, 2008, 01:56 PM
    Ciddie, I am confused by your rating. You said good job but then gave me a DISAGREE which results in a negative mark on my record.

Mar 3, 2008, 02:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    Ciddie, I am confused by your rating. You said good job but then gave me a DISAGREE which results in a negative mark on my record.
    Sorry, hit wrong button.! You did help a lot, will rerate, and I apologize. I thought I caught it before it went through, but I guess not!
    Must have been some leaves built up in the vent line, but not noticed until I need real air!
    Thanks again!
    Ciddie

Mar 3, 2008, 02:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    Sorry about that, but unfortunately, Ask me won't let me rate again until I "spread around" some reputation. Again, I apologize.
    Ciddie

Mar 3, 2008, 02:30 PM
    That's OK, you need to rate 5 other people before you can rate me again. They did that to stop people from having wars where they rate each other over and over again. Maybe later.

Mar 3, 2008, 08:47 PM
    Ciddie, Harold the left handed widget maker stepped up and balanced things so all good, Thanks Harold, I owe you one if you ever get an unfair reddie I'll be there for you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water backing up and not venting [ 6 Answers ]

I'm frustrated to the point that what little I thought I understood, suddenly stops making since. So here goes. And by the way, I've read at least 40 posts on here, and the advise I've seen and taken to heart has really helped, so thanks already. Details: 40 year old pier/beam house, city...

Water backing up in bathtubs [ 15 Answers ]

Whenever we wash clothes the water backs up in the bath tubs and shower. We had the septic tank pumped out over the summer and it helped but now the water is backing up again . The septic tank can't be full again , could it ? Please help I am tired of cleaning up water . Also it is causing my...

Old toilet w/prob original wax seal [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I removed an old toilet that has a wax seal but not the new type with the flange etc. I want to replace the wax seal & reset the original toilet (it has space for 4 bolts... what to do?

Basement water backing up [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, My basement storage room has a drain in it. On Christmas Eve we had water backing up through this drain. The next day we had the septic tank drained. Then we noticed the basement toilet wasn't draining well still. Then the storage room drain still had some water backing up We thought there...

Water backing up in shower... [ 3 Answers ]

When I do laundry, the water backs up in2 the shower, when I take a shower, I get standing water in the shower. I've snaked, used chemicals, nothing works, can't really afford a plumber, can any 1 help me PLEASE!!

View more questions Search