Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    IAHawkeyeFan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 27, 2006, 08:25 AM
    Basement toilet too close to wall
    OK, my plumber stubbed in a toilet and everything else in our basement bathroom and I am just finishing it out. It appears like they didn't count for the drywall because the tank is too close to the wall for the toilet I bought, it's very close but I sort of got it wedged in there and bolted the tank up, with the bolts at an angle because the tank is tight against the wall but now when I flush it the water runs out the back because the seal between the tank and bowl isn't tight enough in the very back. Without physically cutting into the drywall to allow for the tank is there any quick fix for this, short of knocking out cement and resetting the flange with and offset flange? I didn't know if they made shallower toilets that I could buy, the one a purchased is an elongated bowl but would a reg bowl be less shallow? They all pretty much have a 12inch rough in. I was thinking about filing the holes in the bowl to get a better sitting of the bowl screws so they are completely flush and parallel with the tank holes but will my seal miss the drain hole on the bowl?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 27, 2006, 11:46 AM
    I may have a solution to your problem. Crane sells a 10" rough in elongated bowl and tank for $135.00. Model 4195/wh. Check it out at; http://www.nextag.com/10-inch-toilet/search-html
    If you off set the tank by filing the tank bolt holes the spud washer on the tank will not line up with the bowl.
    The only other solution would be to remove the existing closet flange and replace it with a offset flange. If the existing flange's PVC and glued in the hassle of replacing it is well worth the $135 in my opinion. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Basement toilet drain 14" from wall :( [ 4 Answers ]

Am tackling putting in a bathroom in the basement. Walls are already up, but I noticed now that the center of the drain for the toilet is around 14" from the studs (drywall yet to go on). Is a seemingly simple installation now going to be a more major undertaking? I'm relatively new at this and...

Help! Toilet Too Close To Wall! [ 3 Answers ]

The toilet in our upstairs bathroom has been installed too cose to the wall. The lid to the bowl won't even go on completely because there is not any clearance between the back of the tank and the wall. I measured from the closet bolts (?) to the wall and it measured 11 1/2". What are my options...

Gas line & dryer vent pipe - how close is too close? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm rerouting the gas dryer vent piping so that it will inside the adjoining stud wall. At the top of the wall the vertical exhaust pipe will be within an inch or two of the horizontal running copper gas supply line. Question - is there a minimum distance that the metal dryer exhaust pipe must...

Toilet to close to wall [ 7 Answers ]

I'm in the process of the replacing the toilet in a basement bathroom. The new toilet will not fit because the center of the flange is only 9 1/2 inches from the wall, rather than twelve. I broke all the concrete around the pipe. It is cast iron. What is the best way to move the flange 2 1/2...

Wet basement wall... [ 2 Answers ]

See photo... House is 6 years old. Starting a few months ago, when we get a heavy rain, a water line will form on the basement wall (poured basement). It doesn't appear to be 'flowing' - just wet to the touch. Nothing on the floor. No cracks - just a water line. An hour after the rain...

View more questions Search