Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    latricetoney Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2009, 05:13 PM
    Electrical wiring
    I am trying to replace the plug for my dryer I am using a 3 prong plug and it needs to be wired into the circuit breaker box. I have it hook up but it keeps blowing the box. What am I doing wrong can you send me diagram on how I am to hook it up. The wires are red black and ground. Please hellp
    EPMiller Posts: 624, Reputation: 37

Nov 9, 2009, 08:04 PM

You're certain you can use a 3 prong plug? If you are wiring a new outlet from the breaker box you should be using a 4 prong plug and socket, which would require a 3 conductor w/ground #10 cable on a 30A breaker.

Going with the 3 prong. The two hot legs are the black and red conductors. These will match the 2 straight slots in the socket which will have the corresponding black and red (or white w/added marker) wires from the breaker. The combination neutral/ground wire connects to the right angle blade of the plug and that part of the socket will be wired up with the ground wire from the panel ground buss. Inside the dryer (most common dryers) the hot conductors go to the outer two terminals on the barrier strip and the ground conductor goes to the middle terminal. There will also be a bonding jumper from that middle terminal to the chassis of the dryer. Make certain it is on the NEUTRAL or GROUND terminal. Also make certain that the terminals are actually in the configuration I described or wire them as your dryer requires. Any other combination will blow breakers and/or cause a dangerous situation.

If you actually have a 3 conductor w/ground wire coming from the panel, you should convert to a 4 prong plug and socket. The socket will have one prong each for the neutral and ground wires. The ground prong is the right angle blade. Inside the dryer that bonding jumper is removed from the neutral terminal and the ground conductor is connected to the chassis of the dryer.

If you do not completely understand my explanation, please call a professional. It will be cheaper than hospital bills and/or repairing what you ruin.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1986 5th wheel electrical issue [ 10 Answers ]

Hi there, I have a 1986 Konar 5th wheel where I have 5 outlets in the kitchen that don't work. I have checked the breaker and it has power coming out. There are no GFI outlets and I can't find a reset. Can anyone help me out here?

Electrical code [ 1 Answers ]

I'm putting in a gameroom in a newly built home,should I run a sub panel to utility room in the basement.I will have 10-12 outlets,6-8 resessed lights,2 dimmer switches,2 hdtv sets,wet bar with refrigator and dish washer,and one large refridgetor,and also a bathroom? Also what gauge wire do you...

Electrical conduit [ 1 Answers ]

I am running a new exterior line to a carport to install two fluorescent lights in the ceiling of a "V" shaped aluminum 2 car carport. The underside of the carport reaches very hot temperatures during the summer months, metal parts are burning hot to the touch. I undersatnd I need to use exterior...

View more questions Search