Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    horlah Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2011, 10:23 PM
    State Tax status. F1 student, resident, non-resident or part-year resident
    Dear Atlanta Tax Expert/MukatA

I am a student on F1 status. I graduated from Univ of GA in December 2009. I moved to NC the first week of February 2010 and still in NC till now. Before moving in February I didn't work at all in GA, I was basically just packing my things and searching for jobs until I decided to move to NC. I started work in NC in April and worked till December ending.Its my first time filing NC stae forms, so am confused. For tax purposes,

1) am I required to file a GA state form? Bearing in mind that I reported my change in address sometimes in February. I didn't earn any income in GA, or pay rent, I signed off my rented apartment on Dec 31st 2009. However, I didn't change my driver's license to NC. I retained my GA license, because I was hoping I would get a job in GA and move back.

2) all my earned income in 2010 was in NC state, and I lived in NC since February 2010 till date. Am I considered resident, non-resident, or part-year resident for tax purposes? I remember while I was in GA, F1 students were told we are non-residents even if we lived in GA 365 days of the year, is it the same in NC state?

3)which forms am I required to fill for NC state tax filing.

Thanks for your help.
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Feb 3, 2011, 10:33 PM

You do not have any income in GA so you do not file GA tax return.

For all the income you earned while in NC, you will report it on NC tax return.

F-1 is nonresident for 5 years for the federal tax return. For state return, if you live in a state you are part year resident or full year resident. http://taxipay.blogspot.com/2008/03/...s-for-non.html

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

State Tax status. F1 student, resident, non-resident or part-year resident [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Atlanta Tax Expert/any tax expert I am a student on F1 status. I graduated from Univ of GA in December 2009. I moved to NC the first week of February 2010 and still in NC till now. Before moving in February I didn't work at all in GA, I was basically just packing my things and searching for...

Question about moving/taxes (resident/non-resident/part-resident status) [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I recently moved from DC to New York for work, but between leases I moved back home with my parents for a month in NJ. I'm a little confused what forms I need to fill out. My situation was: Lived/Worked in DC from Jan - Mid-Nov (Should require the DC Resident Return) Lived in NJ/Worked...

Part time resident or non-resident for state tax form? [ 3 Answers ]

:( hi, I was on F1 visa in Texas till the month of September. Then moved to North carolina in October to work on OPT till December. So I am still eligible to fill the 1040NR-EZ form. But my confusion is the state tax form since for Texas I did not have to fill one. And now in the D400 state tax...

View more questions Search