Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mili9999 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2008, 05:33 PM
    I quit my job, but the new job stopped hiring
    I found a new job, great. So, I quit my current job a week ago and give them a two week notice (so I'm still on this job). However, today I got a notice from the new job that they have to freeze new hire due to the company policy. What can I do? Can I ask the new company to pay me for the lost income? For how long?
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2008, 05:40 PM
    I doubt you can get them to pay you for anything because most work is 'at will employment' meaning they can hire and fire you at will and you can quit without a two week notice.
    Unless you signed a contract you have nothing binding with them. You might want to see if your old job would be willing to take you back. Other than that start looking for another new job. There is no such thing as job loyalty or job security any more.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2008, 05:41 PM
    You're basically scre*ed since they changed their policy. There is nothing you can do at this point unless you signed an employee contract with them. I sure hope you can take back your two week notice with the present job. Some companies let you do this and other companies say bon voyage as you leave after your two weeks are up. I'd talk it over with someone there immediately. Hopefully you turned in your resignation in a friendly manner.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 11, 2008, 06:32 PM
    Yes, begging your old place to let you stay comes to mind.

There is some legal obligation, since you acted on their promise to hire, if you have some proof that they gave you a valid offer, date to start work, hirely amount and so on, you may be able in court hold them liable for a few weeks pay ( maybe) but doing this you also destroy some of your future, since a person known to sue a place they work often finds problems latter.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kirkland Signature, by whirlpool; Dryer stopped heating and timer stopped working [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Kirkland Signature, by whirlpool Dryer that stopped heating and timer stopped working at the same time. What may have caused this?

Hiring a felon [ 6 Answers ]

In the state of Virginia, is there a tax break for hiring a felon?

Hiring Probability [ 5 Answers ]

Question: Of 64 qualified applicants for job classification B, 16 have long hair. In the past the agency hired 8 positions. If the agency hired without regard to hair length, what is the probability of hiring 7 people with long hair out of the eight new hires? Would you say that the agency...

Should I take emergency leave of absence and then quit or just quit immediately? [ 4 Answers ]

I have to leave job for which I did not have time to notify my employer 2 weeks before I quit. My planes changed so fast. I have to quit immediately, but I I still have my shift schedule for tomorrow. I work at Starbucks as barista. Should I make call and tell them that my car broke and cannot come...

Hiring without being bonded [ 2 Answers ]

Can a business that needs to have it's employees bonded to enter customer's home, legally hire someone who has not been bonded? I stupidly signed a contract with a business before they had all my information - insurance, registration, background check- and decided the job was not for me. They are...

View more questions Search