Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Catfish83 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2009, 01:11 PM
    My liability be as the homeowner?
    I want to put a new roof on my house. I know of a crew of school teachers that do roofs on the side. They do not carry insurance. Would I then become the general contractor and be liable for any damages or leaks? Can I ask them to fix the problem if I knew up front that they didn't carry insurance?
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

May 20, 2009, 01:38 PM

Actually the crew you're hiring are the Contractors. If they are hurt while working on your property then yes, your policy will cover their injuries under the Medical Payments section.

As for faulty labor such as leaks or damage to your home, your homeowner's policy will not cover this. You can ask them nicely to come back and make the repairs. But since they are not an actual business you will have to go after the individuals. Again, asking nicely works sometimes.

So basically, good luck with collecting as it sounds like a nice group of people doing you a favor. The thing is-- this is the risk you take when you choose to have buddies do the jobs of professionals- you have no guarantee of the craftsmanship. So if you suffer further damage to your home because the work wasn't done properly, you're looking at having to cover that cost out-of-pocket.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 20, 2009, 05:30 PM

Sorry but they are not contractors but rather day laborers. If you hire them to work and they get injured your insurance may cover them but does not insure the quality of their work. If you had a licenced and insured contractor his insurance covers his people, your property and the quality of his work. If you hire a teacher to be a roofer then you know up front they are not professional. You have lowered your standard to save money but you can not hold them to the higher standard of a pro, won't that be nice. Hope that covers you concerns.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Homeowner Liability Insurance [ 3 Answers ]

I own a rental condo on the 9th floor in an 11 story poured in place concrete and steel building. I carry a liability insurance policy on this property. If there is water damage to a unit below me (hot water heater valve malfunction causing flooding) will this liability policy cover the damage to...

Homeowner Liability. Who is covered [ 6 Answers ]

My friend purchased a home with his fiance'. I was put in her name because of some business concerns. My friend has always made the payments on the house. She left sometime ago They agreed he could stay in the house. He has continued to pay for the home and the insurance as part of martgage...

Homeowner liability off premise [ 1 Answers ]

Someone accusing me of being at fault when our dogs passed, hers entangled mine, she fell, she got up and said nothing hurt, went on our ways. Now I have letter from law firm I'm at fault and want my homeowner liability insurance info. What should I do?

Homeowner liability in case of a roommate [ 2 Answers ]

I am a homeowner planning to rent a portion to a roommate. If I include a clause that specifies that I cannot be held responsible for any injury that she might sustain due to an accident on my premises, and she slips and falls on the stairs, will the agreement be valid in Colorado courts ?

Homeowner liability [ 20 Answers ]

As a homeowner renting out a room, can my roommate sue me if she has a slip and fall type accident on my property?

View more questions Search