Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    slatera Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2008, 08:46 AM
    Homeowner Wants Tenant Out!
    Hi Ask Me:

I am the sole owner of a home in Philadelphia, PA. who recently broke up with a man that resides there as well. He is unable to pay the mortgage as he promised and it is costing me. How do I evict him legally as he hold no leases agreement or anything?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2008, 09:32 AM

If there is no written agreement, landlord must give tenant written notice of the reason for the eviction and the date that the landlord wants the tenant to leave. If the tenant is behind in the rent and has an oral lease with the landlord, the landlord needs to give only fifteen (15) days notice between April 1st and September 1st, but thirty (30) days notice between September 1st and April 1st.

It the tenant is not out of the property by the end of the eviction notice, the landlord must file a complaint with the appropriate District Justice's office. A hearing will be scheduled and the local Constable will serve the complaint on the tenant.

At the hearing both sides present proof and both sides bring supporting documents, photographs, witnesses, evidence.

If the landlord wins, there will be a judgment for possession and the tenant will be ordered out. Fifteen days must pass - without the tenant moving - before the Constable serves an Order for Possession on the tenant. This Order advises that unless the tenant is out (and that date must in another 15 days) the Constable will physically remove the tenant and place his/her belongings in a professional storage unit with the tenant responsible for costs and fees.

It is (obviously) 30 days between the decision and the tenant being removed (two 15-day periods).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Landlord/Tenant Law in Texas - What Duty Does Tenant Have to Pay for New Carpet? [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, We moved into an apartment two years and three months ago and just moved out. In February, my husband had food poisoning and was very sick. He had taken pepto bismol, but in a polite way, it didn't stay down. Thus, we ended up with some light pink stains in an area about one foot wide...

Homeowner Liability. Who is covered [ 6 Answers ]

My friend purchased a home with his fiance'. I was put in her name because of some business concerns. My friend has always made the payments on the house. She left sometime ago They agreed he could stay in the house. He has continued to pay for the home and the insurance as part of martgage...

Jacob - New Homeowner [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 220V wash machine that has a three prong plug. The 220V receptacle has four prongs. I chose to change the receptacle rather then the plug, not to lose the warranty. The problem is that I am left with one extra wire that comes to the original four prong receptacle, its either the green or...

Delinquent Homeowner Dues [ 2 Answers ]

I was recently elected as the Board Secretary/Treasurer for our Condominium Association and inherited the issue of HOA Dues delinquency. We have an owner who is always late on his HOA dues. He owes about 5 months worth of HOA dues. Besides filing a lien against his property, what is the best...

Homeowner liability [ 20 Answers ]

As a homeowner renting out a room, can my roommate sue me if she has a slip and fall type accident on my property?

View more questions Search