Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    djenkins299 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2007, 10:51 PM
    Replacing contactor on our heat pump
    My husband is changing a 1 pole contactor to a 2 pole contactor on our air conditioner. The problem is he is not sure which wires go where. Could you please help.
    buzzman Posts: 54, Reputation: 9

Aug 18, 2007, 11:49 PM
    There are two parts to a contactor. The control circuit and a power circuit. The contactor allows you to control a device through "indirect switching". What I mean by that is you can have a 120V rated switch operating a 240V device. The contactor allow you to have this kind of control. To explain the first part of the contactor, you CAN use a 2-Pole contactor in place of a single pole contactor, but you cannot go the other way around. The contactor will be labelled with an "L1 & L2. This designation is where the wires are directly terminated (Attached) from the main source (Panel). The bottom of the contactor are usually labelled as a "T1 & T2. These points are designated for wires that run from contactor to its device, which in this case, is the Air Conditioner. In this case you will be omitting one pole because you only need one. You will only be using the "L1" and T1" terminals. The other two will be left with nothing on them.
    The second component of the contactor is the coil. This is the "control" part of the contactor and it causes the opening and closing of the "contacts between your "L1/T1" and "L2/T2", thus causing the unit to turn off and on as the AC unit cycles the "coil" accordingly through its thermostat switching. These are usually labelled as an "A1" and "A2" or will simply state the connection points as "Coil". The coil has a voltage rating. Double check that the 2-pole contactor matches the 1-pole coil rating, or the device will not operate properly. The rating on the coil to a unit such as yours should be 120VAC, but sometimes the newer models will use "Low voltage switching that can be rated at 24VAC. Be careful of the ratings so that everything matches the original contactor's ratings. Putting 120VAC to a 24VAC rated coil will cause "smoke to be released". Thus the death of the coil.
    By you telling me that this is a single pole device, it tells me that the operating voltage is 120VAC (Voltage "AC"). it sounds like a smaller unit, possibly a window unit . An easy way of making sure you have a guide when you change out components is to turn power off to device completely. Then cut wires (Not de-terminate). This allows you an idea of where the main wiring goes to the components without tracing them out by hand which can be tedious and next to impossible if you are not qualified. If you cut the wires off on the old unit, it is a matter of matching the wires onto the new device of course minus the wires on the "L2" and "T2" designations. FYI the 2-pole contactor would be used for a device with operating. Let me know if you have any more questions.
    acetc Posts: 1,004, Reputation: 79
    Ultra Member

Aug 19, 2007, 09:40 AM
    When changing the contactor in your air conditioning unit you should first take note of where the wires are connected to the contactor, draw a picture. The contactor will have two control wires that come from the thermostat and connect to the coil of the contactor, they will be 24 volts. The two line voltage wires coming from the disconnect (fuse box) will connect to the two screws or terminals on the same side of the contactor, the wires that you removed from the opposite side of the contactor will connect as before.
    Now the difference between a single pole and a double pole contactor is a single pole only has one set of contacts and a double pole has two sets of contacts, now you want to put a jumper around one set of contacts to make it act like it were a single pole contactor, do this to the wiring that goes to the capacitor , this provides for the warming of the oil in the compressor during the off cycle. Single pole contactors used in most air conditioning units have two terminals on both sides of the contactor to connect the line wires and two terminals to connect the load side wires.
    Be sure to disconnect power to A/C before working on it, Good luck. Mike
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Aug 19, 2007, 10:25 AM
    The constant on (jumpered contact) on the contactor/starter is used to allow 115 volts to pass into the compressor windings to act as a crank case heater. Make sure you wire it correctly.
    ununpentium Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2010, 10:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by buzzman View Post
    The contactor will be labelled with an "L1 & L2. This designation is where the wires are directly terminated (Attached) from the main source (Panel). The bottom of the contactor are usually labelled as a "T1 & T2.
    The label has been worn off my dipole contactor and I cannot determine which side is L and which is T. I have a handmade diagram showing which wires connect to which positions relative to each other, but I don't know if I have the contactor reversed or not. Does it matter which side I treat as L1/2 and T1/2 as long as I have the A positions correct? Will it work either way? Thanks.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Feb 23, 2010, 02:34 AM
    All a contactor is a switch. Very simple in design.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

NO HEAT! Janitrol heat pump and AC system. Changing to Lux Thermostat. Wiring issue. [ 11 Answers ]

I have a Janitrol A/C and heat pump system. I replaced the thermostat with a Lux T9000LC The A/C works fine, but the heater does not. I have it wired as follows: G - Green Y - Yellow W - White RH - Pink B -

Heat pump contactor sticking [ 1 Answers ]

I have been told my old trane unit has a contactor problem- the indoor fan runs but the outside unit comes on sometimes but not always- an a.c. guy came out and scraped the contactor a little and that seemed to help for a day or so and then it started acting erratic again, but not near as erratic...

Replacing A/C - condenser or heat pump/condenser [ 1 Answers ]

I live in a condo. All of the units in the building need to new air conditioners because they are all old and will not survive a scheduled reroofing of the building. The association got a bid for a company that will put in a new condenser unit for anyone who wants one - it is about $1500 installed....

Replacing old heat pump thermostat with Honeywell RTH3100C [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Rheem heat pump with auxiliary and emergency heat. My current thermostat is a Seco TA-2000 with the following wiring configuration: B W2 X R G and a piece of wire connected between E and W2. There's also an orange wire that's not connected to the thermostat. The Honeywell manual does not...

Replacing 15 yr old carrier heat pump, best suggestion? [ 1 Answers ]

I live in a high humidity area that has cold winters that can reach but not sustain 0 degrees and hot summers that can reach and sustain almost 100 degrees. I am replacing a whole house Carrier 2.5 ton unit; what is the best replacement with the best warranty for an 1800 sq ft house? I need this...

View more questions Search