Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    binky185 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2011, 10:13 AM
    In lieu of a contract not being signed, is a verbal agreement binding?
    Our Real Estate Franchise requires Agents to sign an independent Cotractor Agreement in accordance with CRA. Sometimes these are not signed and Agents decide to leave and we have no recourse but to sue in Small Claims Court
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 18, 2011, 10:24 AM
    Yes, verbal agreements are binding.

Have you been successful in Small Claims Court?

Where? What Country or State?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Dec 18, 2011, 10:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by binky185 View Post
    Our Real Estate Franchise requires Agents to sign an independent Cotractor Agreement in accordance with CRA. Sometimes these are not signed and Agents decide to leave and we have no recourse but to sue in Small Claims Court
    What JudyKayTee said.

What's CRA?

And what exact relief are you suing the agents for?
    binky185 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2011, 11:46 AM
    CRA is Canad Revenue Agency We would be suing for unpaid fees in accordance with what the Agent had signed for on registration/ or asked to be on certain plan. i.e. Gross Commission Plans at 50/60 0r 70% or pay a desk fee in addition to an Association Fee (which Pya as y ou go is responsible for and they get 95% of commission )
    We are seeking relief of the unpaid Association Fees/ or Desk Fees and the Monthly Royalty an Advt Fund fess which all Agents are aware of when they join a Re/Max Franchise
    At present we have not yet tested the Courts in a Hearing. We've tried in a Settlement Hearing, to no avail
    We are in Toronto Canada, in the City of Vaughan,a neighboring City, Governeed by Province of Ontario Laws and Federal laws of Canada
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Dec 18, 2011, 01:04 PM
    So these are fees payable by the agent to you, the franchisee, and not some sort of tax payable to the CRA? I see no reason why you should not be able to recover them in small claims court.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 18, 2011, 01:41 PM
    My issue is why you are allowing them to work without signing the paper work, It sounds like a serious management issue is there is more than one or two happening. No paper work, no agent agreement, no ability to work.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Verbal Agreement- Binding or No? [ 6 Answers ]

I am in Ohio. I have a verbal agreement with someone. The agreement was that he would purchase some software and equipment for me, and that I would pay him back with a percentage of the proceeds of the small business I was starting. He became angry with me and now wants me to give him back his...

Verbal agreement binding in state of Ohio? [ 0 Answers ]

I am an entertainer in Ohio. Had a verbal agreement with a club for a gig, sent out contract and posters, they acknowledged the received with a phone call. We never got the signed contract back, but they requested new posters with a name change of the club. Now they called to cancel within 10...

Verbal agreement.Binding or not? [ 5 Answers ]

My friend lost her job and couldn't afford to make her jeep(a second vehicle) payments anymore. I needed a vehicle for work because my ex got the car in our settlement. She and I made a verbal agreement that I would take over her jeep payments and insurance payments until paid off. After several...

Is a verbal agreement legally binding in the state of PA? [ 4 Answers ]

Perhaps I had a verbal agreement to pay a loan that the parents of my now ex-wife had taken out for us. Now that we are not together any more, for more than three years, and I'm still paying this loan payment, am I legally bound to keep doing so, or not? I know the moral thing to do would be to...

Is a verbal agreement legally binding? [ 3 Answers ]

My father-in-law is visiting us in Arkansas and was considering moving here. He looked at some homes for sale, and made a verbal offer (no realtors or paperwork involved) on a house. The seller counter-offered, but would not come down far enough. My f-i-l never signed any paperwork or offered...

View more questions Search