Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Phil16 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 22, 2009, 06:19 AM
    Connecting Ground bar and neutral bar
    I'm wiring an additional panel into a garage. It's connected to the Meter through a switch that switches the power between the company power and a generator. The main house panel is inside the house. I understand that the neutral and ground are connected in the "main panel" only and any subpanel would need these separated. Im not sure the additional garage panel would be a subpanel because it comes from the main power not the main panel in the house. Would it be safe to separate the neutral and ground in the new panel just to be safe? Is it okay to separate the ground and neutral bars in this new panel?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 22, 2009, 06:33 AM

I would.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

May 22, 2009, 06:35 AM
    The connection of the neutral and equipment ground, called "bonded", only occurs at the service disconnecting means, AKA Main Breaker.

This breaker often is at the Main Panel.

The switch you refer to feeding this garage panel will act as the same as the main breaker, and the neutral and ground should be bonded there, and feed the garage with a 4 wire feeder consisting of the two hots, one neutral, and one equipment ground, and kept separate at the garage panel.

If the garage is detached from the building that has the main service, that garage panel will also need at least one 8 foot ground rod driven and connect to the equipment ground bar in the panel with #6 copper wire as the grounding electrode conductor.

Clear as mud?
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

May 22, 2009, 07:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell View Post

The switch you refer to feeding this garage panel will act as the same as the main breaker, and the neutral and ground should be bonded there, and feed the garage with a 4 wire feeder consisting of the two hots, one neutral, and one equipment ground, and kept separate at the garage panel.
    THIS is the key here.

True, the bond only happens at the main breaker/disconnect/panel, but there can be up to SIX of these. So it is entirely possible that the garage panel could be another main, and need to be bonded, IF it were not for the fact that there is a main switch ahead of it.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

May 22, 2009, 08:32 AM
    I understand, but don't all of the up to six mains need to be grouped together?

Esp if the garage is attached. Your scenario is for detached?

Just want to be clear for readers.

Seems to me in this case the main is at the meter, or should be.

New rule, everyone posts pictures with their questions. So many variables to think of.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

May 22, 2009, 09:31 AM
    I see your point TK, and it is a good one.

I have seen and installed 320/400A services with a dual load meter with one panel in a garage/barn/shop and one in a house. I guess you could say each disconnect is grouped (by itself) at each separate structure.

It could be interpreted as a violation of 230.72, but could also be allowed by the final wording of 230.71.
    We have always been allowed to do this, but like I said, your points are definitely valid.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

May 22, 2009, 09:39 AM

Wouldn' that generator/house disconnect have a 3rd position of OFF. If it does then it really isw the first disconnect.

I also get the impression that is feeds both panels, again putting it as a single disconnect.

And, the neutral/ground bond shoud be made there.

Also, any idea if this transfer switch switches the neutral?
    And re-stating: Does the transfer switch have an OFF position?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Connecting neutral wire to ground wire in breaker panel [ 3 Answers ]

Can the neutral wire be connected to the ground wire at the neutral bar in the breaker panel?

Neutral/Ground bus bar? [ 6 Answers ]

I am installing a sub panel in my basement to run some extra circuits for a bathroom, spare room etc. I am putting a 60 amp fuse in the main service panel, running a 6-3 wire with ground and back feeding the new sub panel. The new panel does not come with a ground bus bar, and suggests using...

Open ground when neutral not touching ground [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I was moving around a room and noticed my wife wanted her desk elsewhere. I decided to, since she would have her computer on it, check the outlet she would be moving to. It seemed old so I changed it. I noticed before I changed it that with my GFCI tester, all sockets on this circuit were...

Ground and neutral bar [ 2 Answers ]

I'm installing a 4 wire, 50 AMP GFCI for my hot tub. My question is at my main breaker for the house where I'm taking power from, which bar is neutral and which bar is ground, or does it matter? Thanks Fred

Using Neutral as a Ground ? [ 3 Answers ]

In my new apartment there are some wall outlets that are two prong outlets. Also my fear is that the three prong outlets are not “physically” connected to ground. I heard somewhere that in this kind of system the neutral wire can also be used as a ground. Is this correct? Would a separate...

View more questions Search