Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jawid Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2009, 12:12 PM
    Re-cutting shower glass door
    If a glass door is cut to fit and then the tiles are adjusted and then trying to fit the same door. The contractors are saying that the glass door cannot be cut twice it will shutter into pieces. I am not sure what to do. Are they telling the truth or lying. Please help. You will save us $1200.00 :(:(

Thanks
    ac101 Posts: 463, Reputation: 57

Aug 4, 2009, 01:05 PM

Why doesn't the door fit ?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Aug 4, 2009, 02:00 PM
    Hi Jawid:

They're shootin' straight at you on this one... ;)

A tempered glass shower door cannot be cut/drilled once the tempering process has been finished at the factory. Here, any holes/cuts that need to be made in the glass doors are made before the tempering process and any additional holes made after the fact will only cause the glass to shatter into very small pieces.

Now, answer AC101's question....why doesn't the door fit?

MARK
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 4, 2009, 02:15 PM

Sounds like they did not do the tiles right and need to redo the tiles to fit as planned or they need to pay for you a new door
    ** assuming they did the measuring

Aug 5, 2009, 12:14 AM
    Thanx;
    I am glad they are straight. I was worried. My wife thinks that our house is jinks'd :) I am with her on that. We have had nothing but issues with this bathroom remodeling.
    Answering the AC101' question... why doesn't the door fit.
    Whe we purchased the doo it was fine and my wanted a bench inside the walk in shower which is abot 18" high.

The part of the glass that not the door had to be cut from the bottom about 18" so it would fit on the bench.

Now we have redone the tiling on that bench and the height is nt more than18". We need to cut the bottom an inch or so, so both the door part and the wall part could line on top. As for the glass touching the tile, we are using the U frame made from aluminum.

If I would do it again I would leave about 6" between the glass and the bench inside the shower that way I don't have to cut anything.

Aug 5, 2009, 12:24 AM

Are the contractors just doing the door or did they do the tile as well ?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 5, 2009, 11:44 AM

Although I have always believed what has been said, they can't be cut. However I bought a door at Home Depot manufactured by a company in Elmhurst, Illinois, not far from my home. The door was not drilled properly. I called the company and they had me bring it to them since they were so close to home. They redrilled it while I waited. Possible the answer may be that some can and others can't be cut/drilled.

Aug 7, 2009, 12:07 AM
    The subcontractor said that he4 does not know how to install the doo but he removed it to fix the tiling. But he told us that the door might have be cut again to fit the new height of the bench.

Aug 7, 2009, 12:35 AM

He doesn't know how to install the door unit but he removed it what am I missing ? I would contact the glass manufacturer or local glass companies and see what they say about cutting the glass . GOOD LUCK, AC
    glassdoc Posts: 17, Reputation: 3

Aug 10, 2009, 12:10 PM
    As massplumber2008 says, you can't cut tempered glass. It is fabricated (cut and drilled) before it goes through the tempering furnace. Tempered glass can be sanded a very small amount but no way you could take off an inch. Call your local Glass Doctor or other glass shop for assistance and suggestions. Look in the Yellow Pages under "shower doors" first and if that doesn't get you anywhere, look under "glass".

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a glass shower door be installed on the edge of shower. [ 2 Answers ]

I just had a new shower installed and I wanted to put the shower door on the edge of the shower because the width is 29". Is there a way that the glass can be set on the edge without breaking the tile when installed?

Dismantle sliding glass shower door [ 2 Answers ]

How to dismantle glass shower door

Glass shower door installation problem [ 7 Answers ]

My contractor put in an entire new shower for me, including the walls, fixtures, tile, etc. There is a glass shower door between two tiled half walls (and then glass going from the half walls on up). The glass is frameless except for where the glass meets the tops of the half walls. When the...

Glass shower door slips [ 3 Answers ]

We have a frameless glass enclosure for our shower. It is constructed with 2 side panels fixed with silicone caulk on top, bottom and side and a door that has hinges inserted into u-shaped cutouts. There are inserts that sit between the hinge and the glass that are a clear flexible plastic-like...

View more questions Search