Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gmanson Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Dec 17, 2007, 04:44 PM
    I live in Texas and I have decide to give up my parental rights, because the mother is calling my job and trying to get me fired and I have not seen my daughter I 5 months and she said I will never see her again if I have a girlfriend. A now this is the last straw she has accuse my brother of touching my daughter his niece, and this is the most absured thing that I've heard. I've lived with my brother for 25 yrs . But Incest happened in there family with them. And all this is very tiring
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 17, 2007, 05:44 PM
    First its not a good idea to piggyback your question on someone else's. This can lead to confusion. You should start a new thread. So I've moved your question to its own thread.

You can decide to relinquish your rights, but if you have read some of the threads here you will know that its unlikely to be allowed. Your brother should file a libel suit against them for false accusations, You need to have the courts enforce the visitation agreement. Maybe even try to wrest custody from the mother if she is so vindictive as to involve her daughter falsely in an abuse case.

But the courts are not likely to grant the termination of rights.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 17, 2007, 05:51 PM
    First why is she calling your work? To collect child support ? If so why are you not paying ?

Also if you have read any of the 1000's of posts on rights, you already know that if you give up your rights, you still have to pay child support, that is your obligation, and has noting to do with rights, rights are the ability to visit, to have a say in the child's life.
    If you are not being allowed to see the child, you file in court for contempt to order her to follow the court ordered visits.

Also if you do go to have your rights terminated, most courts will not do it unless there is a new partner to adopt the child.

If it was that easy, there would not be men sitting in jail for not paying their child support.

Dec 18, 2007, 04:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    First why is she calling your work ?? to collect child support ? if so why are you not paying ?

Also if you have read any of the 1000's of posts on rights, you already know that if you give up your rights, you still have to pay child support, that is your obligation, and has noting to do with rights, rights are the ability to visit, to have a say in the childs life.
    If you are not being allowed to see the child, you file in court for contempt to order her to follow the court ordered visits.

Also if you do go to have your rights terminated, most courts will not do it unless there is a new partner to adopt the child.

If it was that easy, there would not be men sitting in jail for not paying thier child support.
    Yes, I pay child support it comes directly out of my check,she is angry with me cause I've decided to move on with my life , so when she calls my job she is telling lies trying to get me fired. I keep telling her to stop calling my jobs cause if I lose my job she will not be able to receive a check until I find another job. She is just stupid, and I am tried of all the hassle, I love my daughter and would love to take an active part in her life .I come from a loving family, and she came from a dysfunctional family. She just simply refuse to let my daughter come around me or my family members

Dec 18, 2007, 06:35 PM
    OK, she is harassing you. Take a record of her calls back to the court and use that against her! If you bring up enough evidence of instability you might be able to get custody.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 18, 2007, 07:38 PM
    And see about getting a restraining order against her.
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2007, 06:41 AM
    As the others have said, relinquishing your rights will not stop child support, and if you aren't seeing your child anyway you are exercising you parental rights. So doing what you are now, and relinquishing your rights are basically the same thing.

If you want to be an active part in your child's life you need to take her to court for visitation. Then she cannot deny your involvement in the child's life, unless she goes against the court order.

She took the steps to get child support ordered... you need to now do your part and get visitiation ordered.

Dec 19, 2007, 04:01 PM
    You are probably misunderstanding me, I do not wish to stop taking care of my daughter finanacially. I said that she will not allow me my visitaton. I've spoke to several people in the Child support office, and they said it will take awhile. But I'm upset because when they file on you its fast, but when you file for them being in comtemp it take forever.please understad I don't want to give up my rights ,because I don't want to pay, I want to be an active parent in my daughter's life ,because I know her famly is dysfunctional. I said that because I am simply tired of fighting her
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 19, 2007, 04:12 PM
    Do you know what relinquishing your rights actually means?

You say she comes from a dysfunctional family, one that has had a history if incest in the past. Should this happen to your daughter, you have no legal ground to stand on. She will get taken away and not be given to you.

How would she feel if she read this and saw that you are tired of fighting for her? Would she feel abandoned by her only father?

So, she won't allow you visitation, do you have visitation orders? Take her back to court for contempt of court. Forget the child support office... go to the judge. Fight, and fight hard.

Dec 19, 2007, 05:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    Do you know what relinquishing your rights actually means?

You say she comes from a dysfunctional family, one that has had a history if incest in the past. Should this happen to your daughter, you have no legal ground to stand on. She will get taken away and not be given to you.

How would she feel if she read this and saw that you are tired of fighting for her? Would she feel abandoned by her only father?

So, she won't allow you visitation, do you have visitation orders? Take her back to court for contempt of court. Forget the child support office....go to the judge. Fight, and fight hard.
    First of all I did not say I was tried of fighting for my daughter, I said I am tired of fighting her mother.This lady is mad because I have another girlfriend and when she was letting me see my daughter, my daughter would spend the weekends with me and my girlfriend, and my girlfriend spent a lot of time with her and took her shopping. And when I take her back home to her mother she instantly start questioning my daughter, and my daughter said she wanted to come back with me and began to scream and holler. Grab my pants and say daddy please don't leave me the next weekend she let me get her and mid way through the visit she called the police and sent them to my mothers home and said someone pinched and hit the baby, the police said they did'nt see any signs of abuse and left my daughter and told her and my baby's grandmother to go home from that point on she will not allowed to see her again. And yes I have a court order for visitation."don't think for one moment I don't want to be a promient factor in my daughter's life,"My mother called an attorney. But in Texas you just can't go directly to the judge. They say there are protocal's you must follow. Stop misinterperting that I am some dead beat Dad. I've always wanted to be a vital part of my daughters life because I grewup without a father because he was killed when I was 4yrs . Old and my brother was 2yrs old.

Dec 19, 2007, 06:33 PM
    I can understand your frustration but if we misinterpreted anything its because you gave the impression. Your initial post here started with; "I have decide to give up my parental rights...".

As I said, you have to document everything. The police reports, her calls, etc. You need to force getting your daughter evaluated by a psychologist if she cries and doesn't want to go back to her mother. You need to build this case and bring it before a judge.

I suspect the mother knows her hold on custody is tenuous and that's why the accusation against your brother.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Relinquishing rights [ 17 Answers ]

What is the legalities to relinquishing rights of a child whom you feel you can not fulfill an obligation to because of not knowing the child and not being able to comply with conservator rights. And also when rights are relinquished is child support still paid?

Relinquishing your rights [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to know how does a parent relinquish their rights of their children? I have been waiting on my ex-husband to pay child support for 6 years and yet received nothing. I asked him to just give up his rights and leave us alone. What necessary steps do I have to take?:confused:

Relinquishing his rights. [ 2 Answers ]

My sons father does not pay child support the way he is supposed to. He hasn't seen my son in over a year and doesn't care to see him. Is there an inexpensive way to get him to give up his rights? I have been quoted prices any where from 5000-10000 to get it done. Please help!

Relinquishing my rights [ 2 Answers ]

Can anyone give me advice on relinquishing my rights to my three children ages 16 11 5 my ex has custody of them since January 2007 . I'm on the verge of a mental breakdown do to this. Thanks

Relinquishing rights [ 5 Answers ]

How can someone relinquish their rights without an attorney? I have filed for a modification to my child support and we have a court date for that but he has decided he wants to relinquish rights. I have my husband now who wants to adopt her if my ex-husband relinquished rights. How can we do that?

View more questions Search