Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kamala55 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 21, 2008, 11:58 AM
    Insulating Basement
    Are there any alternatives to insulating a basement with cement walls besides insulating all the walls with 3 inch fiberglass?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 21, 2008, 03:48 PM
    There are spray foam, rigid foam and fiberglass batts. Other than these insulations what are you looking for?

Aug 21, 2008, 03:56 PM
    I was wondering if insulating cement basement walls is a must thing to do or high on the priority list in terms of insulation. If not what are some smaller/less expensive things I could do.

I have cement walls all around my basement with three windows.

Thanks.

Aug 21, 2008, 07:15 PM
    It really depends on your climate. I live in Illinois where we can get below zero so , yes, insulation is important. You should glue a visqueen plastic vapor barrier to the concrete before anything. Where do you live?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 21, 2008, 09:22 PM
    In my area of more reasonable climate we are require to insulate only the above ground area, although most people insulate the entire wall once they finish off a basement.

Aug 22, 2008, 05:40 AM
    Massachusetts

Aug 22, 2008, 02:09 PM
    Your climate is colder than mine for sure. I would definitely insulate the basement wall. I'd also have a HVAC pro access my furnace to see if additional supply and return ducts can be installed, return is the more important of the two.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Concrete Basement Floor Insulating [ 4 Answers ]

I want to cover the concrete floors in my basement. Is there a recommended practice for insulating a concrete floor? I have seen the Dri Core type of subfloors, but I'm sure I could do it for less another way. Any Advice?

Insulating basement walls [ 2 Answers ]

As per a previous thread I am in process of insulating my basement. I have taken the advice of TerryB with his great link to insulating. I have run into only a little problem I hope. I installed moisture barrier against the cement foundation, wood studded my walls and installed R-12. This was on...

Insulating basement joists [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: finishing basement and I am curious as to how deep should I put the insulation in the joists. I am using #15 roofing paper 3/4's of the way up the cement wall with 2x4 studs and r-12 batts, then a polyurethane vapour barrier. Now should I bring out the insulation over the 2x4 stud of the...

Insulating bathroom walls in cinderblock basement [ 7 Answers ]

I have a cinderblock basement in Texas built on a slab foundation. How do I insulate and waterproof a bathroom in this area as two of the walls of the bathroom will be on the cinderblock walls. This is new construction. Cc russell

Insulating my garage [ 1 Answers ]

Does the gap at the bottom of the garage between the sheet rock and floor could be sealed with a foam sealer or would that create moisture to build up in my wall. I'm planning on sealing the gap and laying base boards at the bottom of the wall to create that finished look.

View more questions Search