Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chuff Posts: 3,397, Reputation: 1235
    Ultra Member

Apr 5, 2007, 02:07 PM
    Do I need multiple Java updates?
    I'm trying to clear some stuff off my computer to make more room. I came across these two installed programs:

1. J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 10
    2. J2SE Runtime Environment 5.0 Update 2

My question is would update 10 superseed or include any previous updates or does it stand alone as an update for whatever I needed the update for.

I guess my ultimate question is can I delete update 2 without any problems?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Apr 5, 2007, 02:24 PM
    Kep the highest number and dump the rest.
    chuff Posts: 3,397, Reputation: 1235
    Ultra Member

Apr 5, 2007, 05:23 PM
    Thank you that's the answer I was hoping for.
    cajalat Posts: 469, Reputation: 66

Apr 6, 2007, 04:40 AM
    You need to be careful with Java as it may not be as straight forward which is used. So applications install their own standalone Java and chances are you need to update each individual installation of Java on your machine. Other applications hard code which installation of Java on your machine to use and do not necessarily follow the latest installed version.

Instead of deleting those directories I would suggest that you move them elsewhere on your system and then go through every application you installed on your machine that you think uses Java and run through it to make sure it works. If you come across an app that requires Java to be installed and tells you that you need Java installed then that's your culprit application. You need to have to do one of 3 things:
    1. Repoint that application at the latest installed Java instance
    2. Move back one of the Java installations one at a time until you find the correct one.
    3. Reinstall your application

Good luck.

Casey

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Security updates [ 1 Answers ]

After checking the add & remove program section of my PC, I found a lot of security updates downloaded by MSN. Some were called "Hotfix"? The strange thing is that they are downloaded only on my settings and not my wife's or administrator sections. Why are these programs being downloaded without...

Updates [ 1 Answers ]

I have a problem. I ran the windows update and got the security update KB826939 and a day or so later I received the same message that this update was needed again. I looked in my installed updates and noticed I have a total of 8 security updates with this same number KB826939.They were all...

Windows Updates for XP [ 2 Answers ]

How are you able to get a complete printout of your Windows Updates Installation History? All I can seem to get is only one page of history which doesn't show them all. Thanks, John

View more questions Search