Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    juleez231 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2007, 03:07 PM
    Bothersome neighbors
    I have a group of neighbors that are really "clicky". I also have two beautiful dogs which I keep contained behind an underground fence. My neighbors do not like my dogs at all. They are friendly dogs and the only time you hear them is when someone is walking by the house. The neighborhood is not a busy one so we get people walking by maybe 2-3 times a day in the summer. My neighbors are now calling the police on me for the last three saturdays and in my town it is "illegal" for your dogs to bark! How unreal is that! The police officer today got the complaint and when he came into the neighborhood they were not barking. He sat in his car he said for over 20 minutes and they didn't even bark. He then proceeded to get out of his car and then walk in front of our house to the corner, which then the dogs barked a couple of times till he was just a few feet past our yard. A few minutes later a lady rode by on her bike and she too was barked at by my dogs. He said this may be intimidating for people because they are not small dogs and they may not know that they can not cross the fence line. He also stated that these neighbors do not look like they are going to stop calling every time that the dogs bark and he said he can't just keep coming to the neighborhood. I am going to have to resolve this. The neighbors are not willing to let this go by. I need to get bark collars for them even though they do not bark hardly at all. I just need them to NEVER bark!
    How do I pay these annoying clicky neighbors back? I don't want to be doing anything illegal, just rather annoying so they are annoyed as I am!
    sGt HarDKorE Posts: 656, Reputation: 98

Sep 29, 2007, 03:16 PM
    Well we won't help you with revenge but here are some pointers.

Ask the cop if you can place a dog fence sign thing in the ground for all to see so they won't think the dogs are loose. I'm talking about those flag things that come with the dog fences (or well came with mine).

And my neighbor behind my house hates my dog too because she barks to let me no when she wants to go inside. And its only a minute of barking atmost probably once a week at 4:30pm. The reason it's a minute is because I may be upstairs or something and not hear it. But anyway the neighbor came to our house and he threatened saying he will call the cops. First I tried to reason with him saying sorry it won't happen again or I'm doing my best, but he was just harassing me, so I told him to get his *** off my porch and not to come back unless he has a cop. And he never came back. Just be helpful at first and do your best, its not your fault, there is no way to stop a dog from barking. Those collars are stupid, my dad use to have one and it left scabs on my dogs neck.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 29, 2007, 04:01 PM
    At least your neighbors called the police, I have had dogs posioned three times, they had the county road worker haul my dog off to a shelter once and the last one, someone came into my yard and shot my dog.
    So I wish all I had to deal with was someone calling the police.

Also I doubt that a law that says a dog can not "bark" is actually legal, if you fought it, So I would get an attorney.
    juleez231 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2007, 05:42 PM
    I have been in contact with the police three times on my dogs barking for a minute if that. They are telling me that in my city it is a city ordinance for dogs not to bark. He said he will be by on Monday to see that I have some type of collar or something done to resolve this issue. I am going to post signs in the yard to warn people that I have the fence. There is a sign on my mailbox which is at the roadside however he said people are not looking at that when they see two dogs charging towards the road. He did suggest that I move my fence to only cover the back yard, but I feel it is my right as well as my dogs to be in my yard wherever they want to as long as they are not intruding on anyone else's property. Dogs bark, that is just what they do. It is still illegal to have them bark even for a minute at anyone who walks by. I have 4 neighborhood houses that are all against them. We are the only ones that have dogs in the block. There are dogs behind me, but my front neighbors do not see them but I am sure they hear them. I am clueless as what to do. I am going to end up with big fines if I don't do something and I agree those collars are terrible. To me it is just like taking a persons voice away from them and telling them they can't talk! Still uncertain!
    Expert

Sep 29, 2007, 06:13 PM
    I would see if you can get some of the pet rights groups to help fight the law. Just because the city counsel passes a rule, it does not mean it is legal
    stonewilder Posts: 420, Reputation: 99

Sep 29, 2007, 06:17 PM
    Well I don't know about you but my neighbors have two dogs that will bark at their own shadow. I'll take all I can take then I'll go to their house and tell them, "It's 1 am, would you please put your dogs in the house so they will quit barking so I can get some sleep?" They always claim they didn't hear the dogs barking. The last time I had to walk over to their house after 10 pm about the barking, I told them I'd call the police next time and every time after that if they didn't control their dogs barking. They put the dogs in the house after 9 now. Thank God there is laws about barking dogs, it's the only way some people will take you seriously. There's no reason why I should have to pay to live somewhere just to lose sleep cause someone can't control what is their responsibility to control. Sure dogs will bark but if you pay enough attention to them and train them right from the start they won't bark at everything.
    Expert

Sep 29, 2007, 06:32 PM
    The law about any "noise" after 10 is a noise issue not a barking dog issue, a barking dog is just a one type of noise.
    The dog barking at 2 pm in the afternoon is different it is not a noise issue then.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Sep 29, 2007, 06:32 PM
    Please don't use those bark collars. I would show the officer that I was willing to move my fence to the back if it would help. Also I would stay out with my dogs if necessary, to control the barking. I know it is hard to give in esp. when you feel like you are right andthey are just being to picky. But you really do not want the city on your A$$ if you can help it,unless you can afford big legal fees and have the urge to stick with it. I agree that people can be a pain and thank goodness I don't have your neighbors. Good Luck
    statictable Posts: 436, Reputation: 34

Oct 1, 2007, 05:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by juleez231
    in my town it is "illegal" for your dogs to bark!
    Was this law enacted before or after you became the dog's caregiver? Are there others in your area with dogs? What is the size of your lot? Are the dogs taken for a walk/run a few times a day? Are the dogs up to date on immunizations? Do you have a community council ? Best to look into any and all options before drawing a line and this will be very hard but try to communicate more with your neighbors. Best of luck. PS> if all else fails you might consider buying 3 or 4 Hyenas. Spot

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Snubbed by neighbors [ 7 Answers ]

I have lived in my cul-de-sac for 21/2 years. I had developed friendships with three sets of neighbors. A year ago they gave me a shower for the birth of my second son. Brought my family meals after the delivery. Our kids play out in the street and we have spend hours outside watching and...

Bothersome sounds [ 2 Answers ]

Sounds have bothered me more and more. Boom boom cars, noisy neighbors, loud mufflers, ATVs, speed boats, etc. I try to avoid noisy situation as much as possible. But lately, I hear/feel buzzing at home and elsewhere. For a while, I thought it was the refrigerator and got some relief unplugging...

Annoying neighbors [ 2 Answers ]

I have a lab/pit mix that is 2yrs old. She is a very friendly dog, she stays in a fenced in yard during the day while myself and my husband are at work. Last week, we had this new couple move in next door. And now everyday when we get home there are new "toys" in our yard. So they keep throwing...

Neighbors [ 20 Answers ]

We have had some fun and some sad stories about our next door neighbors Would everyone like to share some of theirs with us. ** today I was getting ready for our winter weather, I got my generator out and get it started, well in about 30 min my next door neighbor got his out and started...

My new neighbors [ 2 Answers ]

My neighbors have had a street light instulled and lights up my entire front yard and half of my home.. it is very disturbing to me and the way I was used to living how can I take care of the new and very annoying problem?

View more questions Search