Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    irvinecamaro Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2010, 05:01 PM
    Sending money abroad
    I am a US resident (on work visa so considered a resident for tax purposes) and I want to send some money to my parents in India. The money will an interest free loan to help them out and they will probably pay it back in a year or two. Do I have to pay tax if I send in excess of the exempt amount? Any insight would be appreciated.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 28, 2010, 09:42 AM
    There is no "exempt" amount.

If you transfer more than $100,000, you will need to complete Form 3520 to explain the source of the money. Otherwise, there is no tax liability incurred.

To be sure that the IRS will NOT consider the loan to be a gift (and thus require that you file a "gift tax" return), draw up a promissary note for your parents to sign so you have some documentation to prove that the money transfer is in fact a loan.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Taxes on sending money abroad [ 4 Answers ]

One of my family members abroad needs some short term liquidity. We're thinking I send money over, which they would give back in a few months and within a year. Do I have to charge interest on this even though it is so short (3-6 months)? Would I have to pay any sort of taxes if there is no...

Receiving and sending money abroad [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to know if there is a limit on the amount of money one can send abroad yearly and if it affects that the money is being received by my person in my US bank account and then being sent abroad. Also, do I have to pay taxes on the amount I am receiving (money is for payment of work being...

Husband in debt due to sending money abroad to someone. [ 1 Answers ]

Husband in debt due to sending money abroad to someone, And seems to be addicted to loans. Which I say no. But would like advice how to get out of it. With or without him. We do have kids. 20, 18 and 15 all boys. Thought they always got on with him more then me. Which is why I put up...

Sending money aborad [ 6 Answers ]

Hi I am not a US citizen, but I am considered resident alien for tax purposes in US and have been filing 1040EZ for the last few years. I am on H-1B visa in US. My question is: If I send money to my family abroad, is the money sent considered as gift? Specifically, can I claim this money as gift...

View more questions Search