Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Scotsman Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2005, 05:16 PM
    Uneven flange below floor
    When I am facing the wall with the fresh water supply line - here is the situation in the house I just moved into.

The back tip of the toilet flange is level with the floor and the other half is about 1 and 1/2 inches below the floor level.

The flange is 3inch PVC. One side of the flange is broken. The old owners had placed a cast iron flange on top of it and screwed that flange in to the old one.

What to do? The flange is fused to the pipe. I know nothing about separating them.
    Scotsman Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2005, 05:18 PM
    Forgot to mention. This is a concrete floor covered with vinyl in the basement of a bilevel.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 16, 2005, 05:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotsman
    When I am facing the wall with the fresh water supply line - here is the situation in the house I just moved into.

The back tip of the toilet flange is level with the floor and the other half is about 1 and 1/2 inches below the floor level.

The flange is 3inch PVC. One side of the flange is broken. The old owners had placed a cast iron flange on top of it and screwed that flange in to the old one.

What to do? The flange is fused to the pipe. I know nothing about separating them.
    Hey Scotty.

You have several options open to you. You may take the cement up around the closet stub-up and cut the cocked raiser and closet bend all the way back to where it can be leveled and then redo the closet bend and raiser and bring it out of the ground level. Then you can place a styrofoam closet wrapper around the stub-up and patch the floor.
    But there's a much easier way if the cast iron flange is secure and still useable and this is the way I would advise if this were my call.
    You say the old PVC flange is cocked so that 1 1/2" is beneath the floor line?
    Since the toilet bowl has a 3" throat that directs the discharge this will get the flush past the old flange and into the main sewer line. As added insurance I would use a wax ring with a funnel. I see no reason to go to the added expense and hassle of tearing up your floor if the job can be done with out it. If the cast iron flange's secured to the floor it's acceptable to use it.
    Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet flange above floor level [ 56 Answers ]

I've seen plenty about the opposite problem - maybe this is something less common: my toilet flange is above the anticipated floor level. I recently removed old tile from the bathroom floor, planning to install new tile. In so doing, I discovered that the old tile was set on about 3 inches of...

Commode floor flange [ 2 Answers ]

R & R commodes several times and already know all the tricks and pitfalls, but today I hit a new one. When I took up the commode to see why it rocks, the floor flange came too!! The floor is concrete, the closet bend seems to have a flair on the end, and the brass (?) flange is warped. I have no...

Uneven basement floor [ 2 Answers ]

In our newer home, the basement was poured very unevenly. It cannot simply be filled as the uneveness is throughout a large area. (Imagine rolling hills!). What are the options for addressing this problem and what kind of costs are likely to be associated with each (e.g. hundreds or thousands of...

Closet flange below floor [ 1 Answers ]

First of all, great forum! I am installing a new toilet, but the floor has been built up over the years- two different times with 3/4 inch plywood panels. The original flange was never raised when this was done. I stand about 6'4" tall and my aim has gotten pretty good over the years, but as I age,...

Closet flange on uneven slab [ 3 Answers ]

The cement within a ring of about 3 or 4 inches around the soil pipe is uneven. There is a slight grade up toward the pipe. The grade is about quarter to a half inch. Do I need to grind this down a little or do I try to float some leveling cement around the pipe to get a better area to put the...

View more questions Search