find the vertex focus latus rectum and directrix
    find the vertex focus latus rectum and directrix
    y^2=20x
    (y=0)^2=20(x-0)
    galactus Posts: 2,271, Reputation: 282
    Ultra Member

Nov 11, 2010, 05:24 PM

This parabola has the form

Where p is the distance from the vertex to the focus and from the vertex to the directrix.

Since 4p=20, p=5

The vertex is at the origin and the parabola opens right. So, where does that place the focus?
    The directrix?

The latus rectum is a line segment that passes through the focus, is parallel to the directrix and has its endpoints on the parabola. It's length is |4p|.
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do you find the vertex, focus, and directrix of parabolas? [ 9 Answers ]

I don't really understand this concept, so thorough examples would be much appreciated. :D 1. y^2=8x 2. x^2 + 8y + 16 = 0 ... and Find an equation of the parabola that satisfies the given conditions. 3. Focus (0,1), directrix y = 7

Find vertex, axis, focus, p, directrix of conic equation [ 8 Answers ]

-4(y+2) = (x-3)^2 I need help finding the vertex, axis, p, focus, and directrix. I'm so blanked out.I cannot remember anything.

Finding the vertex, focus and the coordinates of the end of the latus rectum [ 6 Answers ]

hello... :) I hope u can help me with this.. I find it very difficult for me bcoz our prof gives us example but this problems are not d sme in any of his example. :( I've tried my best to answer this problem but still n0thing happens.. I hope u can really help me.. 1.) x^2-2x-y=0 I thot diz...

View more questions Search