Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ks2007 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2007, 09:39 AM
    Dependent exemptions when H1 - H4 - H1
    Hello,
    My wife was initially on H1-B working in MD and then moved to GA to look for a job after wedding. She shifted to a H4 visa and then to H1 again after getting a job. She was on H4 dependent visa for around 4-5 months. Is there any option wherein I can claim extra expenses for that 4-5 months when my wife was a dependent ?

Thanks
    avataress Posts: 35, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2007, 03:22 PM
    See my answer to "Dual Status Confusion." I accept thank you payments. e-mail me and tell me how this worked out for you. I would like to hear other people's opinions of how helpful the IRS is. Also, the IRS will probably offer you an official printed booklet on the tax area you ask them about. The only problem I have with the IRS to date is that in one of their booklets about what type of income is taxable, they state, "If you receive a bribe, report it as income." They've got to be kidding! :)!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 21, 2007, 11:04 AM

No, the IRS IS NOT KIDDING! Several public figures have been sent to prison, not because they accepted a bribe, but because they failed to report the bribe as taxable income.

KS:

If you and your wife were wither H-1 or H-4 for ALL of 2006, then you can either filing Married Filing Jointly or Married Filing Separately. Either way, the appropriate expenses associated with the job serach can be claimed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Form 1040NREZ and exemptions [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am trying to file form 1040NREZ for my husband but I am still not sure about his status and the exemptions he may claim. Here is our situation : we are both from France, married, three children, my husband arrived in the US (L1 visa) in August 2006, I joined him with the kids in...

F1-H1B exemptions ? [ 1 Answers ]

I was on F1 from August 2003, I started working from Feb 2005 on My OPT and my H1b came into effect from October 2005. I am assuming I have to fill the 1040 NREZ form since I read that if India has a treaty with USA I should fill forms as NR alien. My question is the exemption deduction of 5000...

Exemptions for Non resident Indian on H1 [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I came to US on H1 in Oct 2005. (I do not satisfy the substantial presence test). I suppose I need to file the 1040NR-EZ form. 1. Can I claim the 5000$ standard deduction under India US treaty as a business apprentice (I do not know who qualifies to be a business apprentice)? 2. Am I...

Tax exemptions on F1 OPT? [ 1 Answers ]

I am a British citizen with an F1 visa. I am currently employed as a full time permanent employee under the OPT allowance, while my employer applies for an H1B on my behalf. What taxes am I exempt from while still on the F1? Many thanks, Debora

View more questions Search