Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lauralstanley Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2009, 04:29 PM
    Greece citizenship
    I wish to obtain citizenship in Greece. I was born in the United States. Can I obtain citizenship in Greece and if so how would I go about doing that?
    Berglaur19 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 1, 2009, 08:57 AM

It is possible if one of your parents is a greek citizen or your grandfather is greek citizen. You need to have everyone's birth certificates and marriage certificates to prove you are actually greek and it helps if you have their baptismal certificates from the greek church. You then have to have them all translated into greek by a certified translator and take them to your local greek consolate. The whole process takes about 1-2 years. You need some other paper work as well so you will need to call the consolate before you go. I just went through this whole process a year ago but and it took a lot of time and effort but it is worth it! Good Luck!
    acrules3 Posts: 76, Reputation: 3

Apr 25, 2009, 08:37 AM

You need to find at least one of your ancestors who is a Greek citizen, find their municipal registration in Greece, and then prove your relationship to them by means of wedding and birth certificates. It is a straightforward process, but does take a certain amount of time.

The Greek Consulate in your area can help you - there are Consulates in Atlanta, Boston, Chicago, Houston, NY, LA, SF, Tampa, and an Embassy in Washington DC.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Dual Citizenship for USA/Greece [ 1 Answers ]

I Recently came back from Greece where I met my family for the first time. I am interested in getting dual citizenship for USA/Greece but I don't know where I can get information. Does anyone know of a website or place that I can contact to get more information?

Law of citizenship in Greece [ 1 Answers ]

Hey, I was wondering if anyone could help me? I am American-Greek, I was born here is America. My Husband and I are thinking about moving to Greece. My grandfather is 100% greek;however, he was not born in Greece. His Mother, my great-grandmother was born there, his father was to. Can I...

View more questions Search