Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BigCat Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2007, 12:34 PM
    Reversing Sliding Door
    I am hoping to reverse/switch the glass panels of my glass sliding door to have the left side slide and the right stay fixed? Any tips?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 25, 2007, 01:22 PM
    The only way I can see this working is to totally remove the door and frame and flip them. This unfortunately makes the inside surface now the outside. You can't make a fixed door into a slider.
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Jun 25, 2007, 01:26 PM
    Can't Be Done, I One Door Will Stay Fixed, If You Try To Flip It, Ballanger Is Right The Outside Is Now In, Inside Is Out, Along With The Lock Being On The Outside, If Your Farly Handy A New Slider Isn't Hard To Install. And I Think They Run 299 Or So.
    JoeFixit Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2011, 07:47 AM
    Its easy with older metal frame doorwalls... in order to see if it is possible CAREFULLY and THOROUGHLY inspect the tracks.. if (and ONLY IF) they are continuous and uniform from end to end and the hardware (clip on fixed window and hasp on opening side) are exactly one half up the height of the frame... then the door is reversible and its easy. Just remove all three parts (screen, then fised, then slider from the outside (first remove the clip to the fixed pane). Then remove the hasp that the slider hooks to and simply rotate the panes 180 degrees leaving the inside/outside as they were and then reinstall from the outside... the slider first follewed by the fixed pane. Then reinstall the hardware on the new sides (may have to redrill holes if the frame is not symmetrically drilled) and Finally flip screen 180 degrees and readjust rollers... Boom... what was left is right and visa reversa. This works to my knowledge on old metal frame sliders... but many newer ones and wooden ones not so.
    JoeFixit Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2011, 09:50 AM
    OH.. a couple other things... first, if the slider has different hardware on top track vs bottom and has same hardware on lock on outside as inside than that panel just gets reversed (pivoted upright) outside to inside and don't flip it top to bottom like the fixed panel. The other point is that this post is specifically for a doorwall that can be reversed without any removal of the frames. In any other case just get a new doorwall installed. This method won't work.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lubricate Sliding Glass Door [ 6 Answers ]

Our sliding glass door to the backyard has become more difficult to open and I'm wondering what can be done, if some type of lubricant is supposed to be used or does it need some repair to the metal track or the door itself. Any suggestions/resources are appreciated.

Sliding glass door [ 2 Answers ]

My sliding glass door to the patio, after your lock it and check it, moves a little bit to the left. It is still locked, but it moves. Is this normal and safe?

Sliding glass door [ 1 Answers ]

I need basic instructions for installing a sliding glass door. Irene

Sliding Glass Door is leaking [ 2 Answers ]

We have a sliding glass door that leaks when it rains heavily. Our house is 18 years old and the door leads out to a wooden deck. The deck is about one inch below the door frame. It is a good quality wooden door manufactured by Peachtree. This has caused some damage to our hardwood flooring near...

Sliding glass door problem [ 6 Answers ]

I just installed a laminate floor in a kitchen on top of an inch and one half sub floor. The bottom of our Andersen vinyl clad sliding glass door barely clears the floor and this without any threshold. The door wheels are set at their highest position and the top of the door rubs against...

View more questions Search