Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sweetdre01 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2007, 07:17 PM
    Saving for the future
    I just had a baby and would like to know the best way to start saving for her future. Would a CD be good and if yes, would I have to pay taxes on the interest? Please help
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 28, 2007, 07:59 PM
    There are education accounts in most US states that allow for tax free savings up to some limits for the child's education. Since this is a much longer term savings, many of the money market accounts funds such as Merril Lynch are often good choices. Most normal bank accounts and CD's don't keep up with inflation esp since you are paying taxes on the interest.

A lot will depend on how much you want to invest, where you live, and what type of personal investments you have also.
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Mar 28, 2007, 08:29 PM
    CDs are not the best because the rates are bad. They are basically a savings account with a certificate attached... I would suggest looking into Roth IRA, Education Savings plans, & Mutual funds. Look for mutual funds with a good 10 year long track record. Leave the money there and it will make more money for you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Saving money [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I'm a single mom who receives child's support. I have people in my life who have ability to assess my finances via my ss# here in Texas. Is there any place I could save this money,let it grow for future college and other things for kids . Without people being able to check for any...

Saving pictures [ 3 Answers ]

Every time I try to save my pictures from my camera through the camera program to a CD-R, a rewritable CD, or a flash drive, it says that it is write protected. What could be wrong. I know I have done this before and it worked.

Saving e-mails [ 2 Answers ]

Good evening all. I wonder if any of you good people can help me again. In my Hotmail account I have created a folder, and I save an e-mail in it each day. Is there any way I can "Burn" them to a disc? Would I have to save each one individually? Thanks in advance. Davidofgrimsby.

View more questions Search