Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    guy75 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2004, 10:31 PM
    Starting problem with Honda Civic
    Honda Civic
    Year 94, Manual Transmission
    100,000 miles

The car has been giving me starting problems the last few days but it runs well once started. It stops starting if I keep the car parked for a day (it starts if I try starting it within an hour or so after I stop). It starts when I jumpstart it though. So initially I thought it should be the battery and got it replaced but it still gives me the same problem. The engine cranks but will not fire. The thing that is confusing me is that it starts if I give it a jumpstart so I guess it is not due to the spark plugs... could anyone help me out with this problem

Thanks
    damuho Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2004, 07:05 PM
    If the engine cranks, your battery must be okay. Being able to start with a jump may only indicate you have some electrical problem.

I suggest you check for spark and fuel when you have the no-start problem. The results will direct you closer to the problem source.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 29, 2004, 09:13 PM
    Re: Starting problem with Honda Civic
    With a jump or the engine running, you are going to have a little higher voltage. That could make just enough difference if the coil or fuel pump are weak. A weak fuel pump might show up if you give it the gas in a low gear going up hill. If it bogs down, the fuel pump may be bad or at least have a bad connection feeding it. Another test would be to turn the ignition on and off a couple of times before starting it. As soon as the you turn on the key, the fuel pump starts, but quickly shuts off if the engine isn't turning. You can build pressure each time the key is turned on, and finally maybe have enough pressure to start the car.

A weak coil is harder to check without a scope. Sometimes a timing light can show weak spark. Even disconnecting and cleaning the contacts on all the connections in both circuits might help.

Sep 30, 2004, 10:04 AM
    Thanks for your suggestions. I took the car the day before to a mechanic and he replaced the main relay and it still gave me the intermittent starting problem. This time he says it is the fuel pump (which makes sense to me since the pump might not squirt out fluid sometimes when I start the car and so maybe the pump is unreliable). I am waiting on him to replace it and hoping that it works this time.
    damuho Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2004, 02:36 PM
    Do a quick scan of your computer's error codes. If you disconnected the negative battery terminal recently, assuming you did when you installed your new main relay, the error codes may have been erased. You should scan the computer following a no-start.

Since you now have a new main relay, you should check your igniter. See you repair manual for the igniter error code or just count the number of blinks when you turn the ignition on and post it here. Checking for spark will also reveal a possible igniter problem.

Oct 1, 2004, 12:29 PM
    Re: Starting problem with Honda Civic
    Appreciate the help... the car is running fine now and it was the fuel pump which was not pumping gas consistently (wierd I guess, which makes it difficult to diagnose).
    bbb2 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 6, 2009, 11:13 PM
    My honda wouldn't start, too and after working on it and trying to find the connection or wiring problem (since alternator and the battery are just fine), turned out that it was the corrosion on the thing that connects to the battery, which I cleaned, but it still wouldn't work, so I just had to replace it.
    ericholan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2010, 05:45 AM

I have a 1993 honda civic EX with the same starting problem. It is intermittent though, sometimes it start sometimes it doesn't. One thing I noticed was when the weather is hot, that is when I'm having the problem.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Aug 7, 2010, 05:48 AM

. Replace the main relay.

. Replace the Ignition Control Module, if the problem persists.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

93 Honda civic ex starting problem in cold, wet [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 93 Honda Civic EX (2 door) that has a strange problem. When the weather is good - dry and warm, it starts and runs without any problem. But it won't start when it is wet or cold. I can not start the car in the morning and have to wait until the afternoon. I have changed the spark plug...

'91 honda civic starting problems [ 18 Answers ]

Hi: I am having problems with my '91 Honda civic DX when I drive for a while, then I stop the engine for 5-10 minutes to do some shopping or whatever... and then try to start again. It doesn't start at all. But if I wait another 5 or 10 minutes and I try again, usually starts. I don't have any...

91 Honda Civic DX Starting Problems [ 2 Answers ]

My honda civic dx has a hard time starting sometimes. This only happens occasionally but it'll turn over, but just won't ever start. It happened first about a month ago and is happening once a day now. I replaced the spark plugs and I don't know what else to do.

92 honda civic not starting [ 1 Answers ]

The car turns over fine but has no spark or fuel. I have checked the fuel pump, the FI relay, ICM, and replaced the ignition switch. I have looked for broken ground wires in the harness and found none. The car has not been modified (no after market stereo). Bought from original owner. The car...

View more questions Search