Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Unspokenwords Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Jan 6, 2011, 07:48 AM
    Roth 401k early withdrawal
    Hi
    I opened a 401k roth last year and put in 3k. Now it has a gain of $300.

Due to certain reasons, I wish to withdraw all my roth money. (3000+300). I am still 26 years old.

How much penalties I may face when I withdraw?

Thanks
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 6, 2011, 08:04 AM
    Because you making the withdrawal less than FIVE years after you opened the account, you will pay a 10% Early Withdrawal Penalty on the entire $3,300, for a total tax of $330.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 6, 2011, 08:58 AM

For an early withdrawal from a Roth IRA if the initial $3K contribution did not come from a tax-sheltered account (i.e, it was funded with "after tax" money, as most Roth acounts are), then the 10% penalty does not apply to the withdrawal of those initial contributions, even though you are under age 59-1/2 and the account is less than 5 years old. So if you withdraw the full $3300, which consists of $3K in your own after-tax contriubutions plus $300 in earnings in the account, you will owe both the 10% early withdrawal penalty plus regular income taxes only on the $300 in earnings.

In addition - if you use the money for certain purposes such as unreimbursed medical expenses or insurance premiums, first time home purchase, or higher education expenses, or if you are disabled, you may be able to avoid the 10% and maybe even income taxes on the earnoings - post back if this is the case and we'll provide more details.

Jan 6, 2011, 09:52 AM
    What if I withdraw money after 5 years.. what would be the penalties?

Jan 6, 2011, 09:54 AM
    I want to buy first home... but its overseas in India.. can I do that?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 6, 2011, 10:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Unspokenwords View Post
    what if i withdraw money after 5 years...? what would be the penalties?
    Still the same - the penalties and taxes apply if either (a) you are under 59-1/2, or (b) the account is less than 5 years old.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Roth IRA early withdrawal [ 6 Answers ]

I opened Roth IRA account on 2006 and contributed few thousand and again contributed few thousand on 2007. Now I would like to withdraw from Roth IRA about $5000. Withdrawal doesnot fall in any of the specified categories mentioned in the early withdrawal condition. I want to withdraw for my...

Early withdrawal from Roth IRA [ 1 Answers ]

Is it possible to withdraw funds from a Roth IRA without a penalty for buying property on which to build my home? I am 49 years old.Thanks.

Early 401k withdrawal [ 1 Answers ]

If I take an early 401k withdrawal and have no reported income for the same year the withdrawal is taken, am I still penalized? Thanks!

Hardship withdrawal for early withdrawal of 401K [ 0 Answers ]

I am, 56 years old, live in the State of Florida, and just lost my job. I have a small 401K ($6,000) with this company and want to withdraw all of it and put it in a savings account to help tide me over until I find another job. I know I will be charged a 10% early withdrawal fee, and I also...

View more questions Search