Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    damcd Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2007, 03:38 PM
    Banks liability on a fraud cheque
    Recently I have been scammed - cheque cleared my account - funds were available according to the bank - I wire transferred the money out - cheque now comes back as being altered and therefore void - my account is debited the money - account is frozen.

In Canada, does anyone know how much liability is put on the bank and how much ownership is left with the consumer.

If each entity has used "reasonable care" in accessing the funds based on the reference of the bank, how much responsibility lies with each party?

Apprecaite any information.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 19, 2007, 04:02 PM
    We are being scammed to death and if you read the Toronto Star on a regular basis, all the warnings are there. I don't really think it is the bank's responsibility to catch this error. You wrote the cheque, the money came out, end of story. There is no retribution. Many others have lost and report immediately to the police, they can do little but put up warnings.

You can't find the scammers, you can't go back on the bank (as many people have found out). In this day of on line banking, super fast and easy to access, there are literally no humans to catch these errors as say, 50 years ago.

This is just my opinion and no basis in fact and I have never been caught this way, but some close friends have and one lost everything and will never recover.

ms. tick a concerned canadian too

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

REO Banks [ 4 Answers ]

I'm a Real Estate Agent, and a pretty good one too, but I am trying to break into the REO bank owned properties so that I can work for various lending institutions and list and sell bank owned property. Can anyone tell me if there is a list of who's who and how I go about getting that list and...

Fraud cheque [ 8 Answers ]

Just a month ago I was looking for job and iwas applying for job on online sites like jobbank, workopolis, monster. So one job I have applied they answered me with email that we are doing construction business in UK and we have customer in US and CANADA. I am living in CANADA. So you have to just...

Banks transfer [ 1 Answers ]

I have two checking accounts one of them is under my name only which I open more than 6 years ago and then I have another checking I am the secondary and my boyfriend is the primary which we open like 4 years ago. My cousin's account has been negative so the bank went into my checking account and...

View more questions Search