Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hannah029 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2008, 08:24 AM
    Garnishing/bank account
    I was served a summons yesterday. The summons basically said that my bank was the garnishee, and the amount was about $710. I called my checking account and it had been frozen. My question is- when does the money actually come out of my checking account?

It will be a huge inconvenience and I will literally be broke for a few weeks, but if I can get this debt taken care of for once and for all it would be great. At what point is the money taken and the freeze lifted? That is my basic question. ANY answers would be very appreciated!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 23, 2008, 08:30 AM
    That wasn't a summons. That was a writ of execution. Apparently they obtained a judgement against you and are now attaching your bank account.

I can't understand why, if you can afford to pay it, you haven't settled it already. You had to go through a lot of collection effort before it got to this point.

If you want your bank to take the money and there is enough to cover it, then tell your bank to take it and release the account. Generally they leave the freeze on for a time to give you time to fight it.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 23, 2008, 08:37 AM
    Is there enough money in the bank to cover the entire debt ? If so, a few weeks normally, you may wish to talk to the bank.

Feb 23, 2008, 08:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    That wasn't a summons. That was a writ of execution. Apparently they obtained a judgement against you and are now attaching your bank account.

I can't understand why, if you can afford to pay it, you haven't settled it already. You had to go thru a lot of collection effort before it got to this point.

If you want your bank to take the money and there is enough to cover it, then tell your bank to take it and release the account. Generally they leave the freeze on for a time to give you time to fight it.

Thank you for your response. I can't really afford it, I am a college senior- they would literally be taking almost every single dollar in my checking account, and I would have to live on the small amount of cash I have in my possession for about a week or so, I just want this to be done once and for all.

I just made beyond stupid decisions with credit cards for about two years and this is the result.

Feb 23, 2008, 08:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck
    Is there enough money in the bank to cover the entire debt ? If so, a few weeks normally, you may wish to talk to the bank.

Just enough, yes.

Thank you for your response.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Garnishing Bank Accounts [ 8 Answers ]

I had a few questions about garnishing bank accounts. My friend is a lawyer but only started her practice this year, so I would like another opinion since I'm reading several different things on here. Can a TN judgement garnish your bank account in another state? My friend stated that they...

Garnishing joint account [ 4 Answers ]

Can a joint bank account be garnished in Ga when a judgement is against only one party? It's a husband and wife personal checking account.

Garnishing Bank Account [ 1 Answers ]

Can a debt collector or credit card company garnish my business bank Account for unsecured credit card debts if the Bank Account is only a DBA and the credit card debts is in my personal name?

Creditors garnishing checking account balance [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have a credit card that went to collections awhile ago, that I have avoided paying and I am just wondreing if the creditor is able to garnish the money that I put into my checking account, without my concent or knowledge. Please help for everyday I am terrified that I will go to the bank...

View more questions Search