Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chemgeek Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2014, 05:27 PM
    Reimbursement for health insurance
    I pay $184 a month pretax for my daughter's health insurance. My husband is reimbursing me the cost but he says he owes me 62% of the this value because I am actually paying less in taxes on my monthly income. I feel like he is cheating me money because I am literally having $184 taken out each month and we file jointly for taxes each year. I need advice.
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2014, 06:12 PM
    What does the custody agreement specify?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Oct 16, 2014, 07:58 PM
    Well, of course, fair, to me would he be paying 1/2. but as noted, e is to pay exactly what the custody order says.

If he is to pay the full amount, pre or post tax does not make a difference, he is to pay all of it. How it effects taxes is not a issue, it is how much you actually pay
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 17, 2014, 05:27 AM
    He is full of it. Because the health insurance premium is pretax, it means your taxable income is less, so when you file a joint return, your tax liability is less.

But why are you not sharing equally in the cost?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Switching from personal health insurance to my company's health insurance [ 4 Answers ]

I've been employed with my present company since 2009. I've paid for my own health insurance since 2009 (high deductible), though would like to switch to my company's health insurance. I was diagnosed with MS in June 2011 and it's a pre-existing condition. What do I need to know because of this...

Health reimbursement [ 9 Answers ]

Hello All, My job reimburses up to $250 for joining a gym or weight watchers, etc, my question is they put the money in my paycheck and took taxes. Is this how it normally works? Thanks in advance. I am in Massachusetts if that matters

View more questions Search