Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Julius18 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2007, 11:01 AM
    Ineffective pulpectomy?
    About two years ago I had to have a filling in one of my back teeth fixed because decay had spread. The dentist told me it might fix it but I would probably have to have a root canal someday. This fixed it for a while but shortly I began having pain when I chewed on that side. However it didn't bother me much so I left it. Two months ago I started a new job and I decided to have the tooth fixed once I started receiving dental benefits. However 6 weeks into the new job I started having severe pain in the tooth. I went to the dentist and they said I had an abscess and perscribed penicillin to clear up the pain in the meantime. The meds took away most of the pain but they told me I could do a pulpectomy for now and once my benefits kicked in I could get a root canal. So I opted for the pulpectomy. I had it 3 days ago and it is hurting quite a lot. It hurt severely after the freezing came out and then it got better but now it's bad again. The dentist said it might be sore for a day or two but it seems to be hurting more than it should and for that matter if they removed all the pulp in my tooth what is left in there to be causing pain? I feel like this is becoming a dental nightmare.
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Nov 12, 2007, 07:04 PM
    A pulpectomy is a root canal that is usually done on baby teeth. The procedures are pretty much the same except the material that is used to fill the cleaned out roots may be different. They may not have gotten to the apex (tip) of all the roots or have cleaned out all the nerves for that matter, sometimes there is an auxiliary canal that the dentist isn't aware of.
    I'd suggest going back to the dentist if pain medication isn't helping in the next day or two.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Typically ;the UN is ineffective in Burma [ 6 Answers ]

UN Envoy Ibrahim Gambari met with several low level junta members but is being ignored by the top brass in the government. An estimated 20,000 troops filled the streets of Rangoon during Gambari's visit to prevent any protests from forming. But no need to worry ;the revolt has been effectively...

Air conditioner ineffective in afternoon sun [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. I have an unusual problem. Most of the time my bedroom is cooled just firn. However, in the late afternoon, when the sun is directly beating down on that room, the air conditioner, even though it is working, does not cool the room - the heat shoots up, the room gets humid, and the air even...

Air conditioner ineffective in afternoon sun [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I have an unusual problem. Most of the time my bedroom is cooled just fine. However, in the late afternoon, when the sun is directly beating down on that room, the air conditioner, even though it is on and blowing air, does not cool the room - the heat shoots up, the room gets humid, and the...

Light switch ineffective [ 5 Answers ]

My son replaced the light switch in a bedroom in order to match the color to the new color scheme (he also changed out all the electrical outlets). The problem is that the new switch, the old switch, and another old switch no longer control the ceiling light/fan. The light (and fan) is on and can...

View more questions Search