Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ttt0720a Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2014, 11:09 AM
    Tution/ fees/ discounts
    Hello,

I am a new accounting student and member and this is my very first question!! Yeah.

How would tuition/ fees and discounts be debited and credited under Education and Training. In the chart of accounts?

Unearned Revenue (current Liability) - Credit balance
    Earned Revenue -Credit Balance

Or

Prepaid Expense (current asset)- Debit balance
    Expense Debit Balance

Discounts- ?

Thanks,
    Tre'
    pready Posts: 3,197, Reputation: 207
    Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2014, 03:17 PM
    For your accounts a lot would depend on the problem you are given. I would think that tuition fees would be Unearned Revenue because students pay in advance before taking classes. As classes are performed by professors some of the unearned revenue will be earned. Your journal entry to record this is:
    Debit Unearned Revenue for the amount earned
    Credit Earned Revenue for the amount earned.

A discount is a Contra account, which means that this type of account will offset another account. A lot will depend on what the discount is for. If it is in regard to tuition, then it will be a contra revenue account. A discount for tuition would be given for early payment so your journal entry would be:
    Debit Discount Given (which will reduce the revenue account on the income statement) for the amount of discount
    Credit Accounts Payable for the amount of discount.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

H1B Parents - Claiming F1 Visa Status Son & his Tution/Fees [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Parents are H1B and Son is on F1 Visa. Can Parents claim him as dependent? Also, Can Parents claim his tution/fees as education credit/tution deduction in the 1040 Form? Thanks.

Can I claim my H1B Legal/attorney Fees and Government process fees. If yes, I have to [ 1 Answers ]

Can I claim my H1B Legal/attorney Fees and Government process fees. If yes, I have to travel out side the USA to stamp the visa, Is the travel expenses (Air Ticket, Hotel, application fees0 are deductible as well? Please let me know.

How to claim tution fees for elementary school kid. [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am sending my 4th grade son to sylvan tutoring classes as he needs some help with language arts, when I enrolled him they said I can claim this in taxes and gave their tax id too, ( I didn't request). But when I was filing my taxes online - I see the options only for college going kids. Can...

Single trade discounts versus series discounts [ 2 Answers ]

HELP! I am currently taking a business math course online. Unfortunately, my assignment is due before the professor has office hours again. The assignment is to post on a discussion board. There are 4 parts, and I have the other 3 parts already (mostly) written. However, the first part...

2007 Tution fees deductioins [ 1 Answers ]

Is it possible to deduct tution fees paid in 2007 in this year's (2008) tax forms if I haven't claimed them in 2007 returns? If so is there any limit? I am planning to use 1040NR

View more questions Search