Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pastor1189 Posts: 1,538, Reputation: 3
    Ultra Member

Oct 8, 2012, 11:26 AM
    Door Striker Plate
    The door bolt would not meet the striker plate.
    I extended the bolt to see where it hit; it was way off the mark.
    I had to chisel the door jamb. Works okay now. But now the latch plate has no wood to screw into. It must be filled in with something. Like wood dough
    Or what?? Works fine without the latch plate, but the wife does not like it.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Oct 8, 2012, 01:03 PM
    Plastic wood or Durock would work. If you are handy, you could mortise in a wood patch and redrill at the strike.
    Ultra Member

Oct 8, 2012, 01:18 PM
    Okay thanks
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Oct 10, 2012, 05:55 AM
    Suggest a two part epoxy like Loctite to fill screw holes.
    Ultra Member

Oct 10, 2012, 06:01 AM
    Thanks. It is a big hole I have to fill. Chiseled out the wrong location for the bolt.
    Okay now. Just have to fill in the gap above.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Oct 10, 2012, 07:02 AM
    Still suggest epoxy, wood filler has a way of falling out.

Properly locating a door striker can be a tedious task. Here is my way.

Place a block of scrap material on the inside edge of door. Using a wood ruler with an extension, measure distance between the block and the back side of the bolt. Add from 1/32 to 1/16 to that measurement. Using the ruler with the extension eliminates misreading the measurement and pencil marks. Most accurate way of taking small measurements.

Transfer that measurement to door frame, measuring from door stop. Measure and mark above and below the striker hole.
    Draw a line connecting marks.
    Aline striker with that line.
    Mark screw holes.

Install striker.

If door latches but is too loose, (it should be, you allowed that extra 1/32 to 1/16) remove striker and bend tab of striker toward the door stop.
    Attached Images

Ultra Member

Oct 10, 2012, 07:38 AM
    Great advice

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing a sill plate under an exterior door [ 6 Answers ]

Replacing a sill plate under an exterior door. I am finishing the basement in the house we recently moved to and believed that I was in the home stretch - until... I removed the last of the framing and insulation and found a section of severely rotted sill plate and rim(skirt?? ) board...

What type of plate boundary is parallel to the direction of the plate movement? [ 4 Answers ]

What type of plate boundary is parallel to the direction of the plate movement?

Repair metal name plate on door [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, There are major scratches on the name plate of my front door (please see attached) from the previous owner. It definitely needs to be replaced, but I am wondering if there's any way to restore it, or make it look better, without replacing it? I live in a condo and the strata council has...

Decorative Swith Plate or Wall Plate and Switches [ 5 Answers ]

We're looking to replace our standard switch plates with "decorative" plates, mainly in the kitchen backsplash. We have seen plenty of options for the plates, from pewter to copper to nickel, etc. Are there options for the actual switches themselves? Can we get switches, such as simple light...

View more questions Search