Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    blackers Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 16, 2007, 01:55 AM
    Urinating Dog .
    Hi have a maltese dog he is 3, who lives outside and is neutered.. Lately he has started to pee on my blankets I hang out (marking I think ) BUT why my blankets?? I know I can hang them higher but I just find it so disgusting that he is doing this and I'm so frustrated..
    Over the last few weeks he has urinated on his food bowl his toys and on his bed one on occasion ! Now my blankets :mad:.. I'm home most of the days as I have kids and I'm normally home when he does it so I don't believe its separation anxiety and we have had no additions or things out of the ordinary.. I'm moving soon is there anything I can spray on concrete to stop him peeing on furniture kids toys everything? He also pees on the concrete and poos on there also . He has stopped backing up and pooing on the back mat and door as I have blocked my door of from him now.. He used to( again when I didn't have the door blocked of) , around 1am every night he would jump and jump as high as he could at the door enough to wake up, when we get up to see what the noise is he runs ! He has always been outside dog and has ample beds etc. I don't know what else to do??
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Sep 16, 2007, 05:25 AM
    If the urinating all over everything is new, and he seems to be urinating frequently, I would suggest that you get him into your vets office to check him for a urinary tract infection. That is easily cleared up with medication.

If he has been urinating & defecating from the beginning in areas he is not supposed to, what kind of training has he had? Have you trained him to do his business in one area of the yard? Has he received any other training, such as heeling on a leash, sitting, staying, no biting,. I am very puzzled as to why a small lap dog has been turned into an outside dog.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Sep 16, 2007, 08:23 AM
    If it is not a health issue. Maybe he is not getting enough companionship and play. Dogs are pack animals and like to be around their pack. He considers your family as his pack. Also dogs go through different stages of their lives just as children do. If not given the proper time and discipline (not hitting or yelling) they will act out. Even if given discipline and time they will still act out sometimes and need to be corrected. Take him to the vet to make sure he is healthy, bring him in around his pack, where he belongs and train him and I am sure he will be a happier dog.

Sep 16, 2007, 12:11 PM
    He is trained to go to the toilet it the grass area of the yard, we do have another maltese x zu (same as him) she is a female but we have had her 2 years now she is also a outside dog. I do not get cold winters where I live so no I'm not being cruel, they have their house toys go on daily walks, kids play with them every day. They were allowed to come in the house (year ago) but he just goes the toilet where he feels like and she has followed . Soon as we were asleep he would poo all over my room wee on my bed. I started to give them small leash at night and keep it short but he wee's on his own bed. I have 3 kids and #4 on the way and I'm not having them in the house, he has has regular check up at the vet his is healthy the vet loves him, he is baffled to why he has started this also, he get pampered once a month in the doggy groomers . That's why I'm asking I have had dogs all my life and never had this problem.. Anything I can spray down on the concrete and kids toys, BBQ, chairs etc to stop him?? Its marking he is doing, I will get trainer like vet suggest just thought id ask advice also . Thanks heaps
    Ultra Member

Sep 16, 2007, 12:22 PM
    There isn't anything that I know of that will actually keep a dog from urinating on something that is within his hitting distance. Bushg is right, dogs are social animals and their desire to be with their pack is very strong. The small dogs of today, such as the Maltese are really bred to be household pets now, not outside dogs. It sounds very much like your dog's training hasn't been completed and he doesn't recognize who is the alpha (leader of the pack). He seems to believe he is the one in charge. His peeing on your things suggests he is challenging you for the leadership role. Since you are pregnant, how old is your oldest child? I think it would be a very good move to have your oldest, or if you aren't too far along in your pregnancy, you, take him for dog training classes. Start from scratch. You might want to take a look at labman's link on basic puppy training. He has some very good & useful information on it.
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...man-53153.html
    Since yours is an older dog, it might take a little more time and effort. Labman also lists a number of very good books that are worth your taking a look at. Your local library might have a copy of a few of that are listed. Unfortunately, there isn't an easy fix for his problem. It has taken him a while to learn this behavior, and it will take a while for him to learn the behavior that is expected of him.

P.S. I will post back with alpha training info.
    Ultra Member

Sep 16, 2007, 12:31 PM
    Labman has some additional information regarding training yourself to be the leader of the pack. He is not available at the moment so I am posting his information for you. I am sure when he stops by either later today or tomorrow, he may post some additional info for you.

Quote Originally Posted by labman
    The key to most behavior problems is approaching things using the dog's natural instincts. Dogs see all the people and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in the pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with a treat. Start at Raising Your Dog with the Monks of New Skete For more on being top dog, see Establishing and Keeping Alpha Position, Letting your dog know you are the boss
    One other thing I should mention. Since you say you have had dogs all your life and have never had this problem and the vet is puzzled as well, you just might have a product of poor breeding on your hands. If I were you I would take the time out and make a very strong attempt at retraining. If it doesn't work, there isn't much you can do about the problem. You will need to decide if you can live with it as it stands or think about rehousing the dog with someone who may have more time to dedicate to helping him get through his issues.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 16, 2007, 09:14 PM
    RubyPitbull has done an excellent job on this difficult question. Glad she was here when I was off at a dog party and then visiting my new grandson. I want to add that it could be now due to him maturing and your pregnancy. I am not sure how dogs know women are pregnant, but they do and often make major behavior changes. My daughter just went through this delivering a son a week ago Friday. Their little terrier mix has reacted to it in less negative ways.

A dog's personality is largely determined by its genetics and socialization before the age of 12 weeks. It isn't completely developed until the 3 years your dog is now. It is hard to say if he will revert back once you deliver.

Check the lawn and garden supplies. There are materials meant to protect plants and shrubs form dogs. You could try them on the concrete.

I too would like to see the dogs inside, but it could be tough retraining them now. It is so much easier to do things right when they are young.

Sep 24, 2007, 06:16 PM
    Hey sorry I have been off line for a while , I have moved address and the Dogs have more room and are enjoying their new house, I took a trip to the vets and all his urine example has come back fine alough on the second visit we discovered he had a ear infection.. Apart from all that everything has been fine. I think you were right pitbull I think he was challenging me for leadership, my eldest child is 9 and they are spending a lot more time outside giving them extra attention to make them feel a bit more confident.. I have caught him in the act trying to urinate on several things in our new house ( no not in a mean way either) and praising him when he pee's in the right spot, and things have been great so far. Thanks for your advice I think you were totally spot on about his leadership he was pushing me a lot :)
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 24, 2007, 07:24 PM
    A nine year old?

With somebody the right age in the family, 4-H dog training is a great idea.
    In my area, clubs form soon after the first of the year. Even many urban
    Areas have 4-H. For info look in your phone book under government listings
    For extension or cooperative extension offices. Ask specifically about a dog
    Or canine club.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Dog urinating in their crate [ 6 Answers ]

I have an 11 month old chocolate lab puppy who is with me most of the time, but when I need to leave home in his crate he urinates in it and rolls around in his own urine. How do I get him to stop urinating in his crate? I don't know if it is the type of crate the I use or that he just gets mad at...

My dog is NOT urinating frequently [ 2 Answers ]

I've recently noticed my dog isn't urinating frequently, she's always been a bit private in that dept. but She'll be in all night and not go in the morning when I walk her. And I've been letting her out late afternoons but in this heat not for too long and still I haven't seen her go, Please Help!

Dog coughing and urinating [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have a 13 year old border collie cross. Over the past few months he has started urinating in the house even though he has just been out in the yard or for a very long walk. When he urinates it is not always in the same areas, he goes in different places. He has also developed a cough which...

Our dog is urinating on our beds? [ 1 Answers ]

We have a 12 month old dog who is urinating on our beds. He has been fixed and this problem actually started after he was fixed. We are constantly keeping our doors closed, but the one time it's open he gets in. We have tried many different things and it's not helping. Is there anyone else who...

Dog Urinating [ 1 Answers ]

My dog is 3-1/2 years old. He is a inside dog and has been house broken. All of a sudden he has been peeing in the house. He is let out 5 to 6 times a day and some times more. I don't understand why he is doing this. Nothing has changed here. Only him. I need help!!

View more questions Search