Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cresta Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2009, 07:49 AM
    Bell's palsy
    Is Bell's Palsy caused by the std herpes?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 23, 2009, 08:26 AM

cresta, this information is from medbroadcast.com. Bell's was a new one on me and this was helpful information. No not from an STD but from the herpes virus that causes cold sores as you will see:

Bell's Palsy

The Facts

Bell's palsy is a sudden facial paralysis that usually strikes all or part of one side of the face. Men or women of any age can suffer Bell's palsy, but statistics suggest that people aged 20 to 35 are at a slightly higher-than-average risk. Overall, your risk of experiencing Bell's palsy is 1 in 5,000 each year, or 1% over an average lifetime. Few people are struck by Bell's palsy more than once in their lives.

Bell's palsy can be a frightening experience, appearing suddenly with symptoms that cause many people to think they're having a stroke. In reality, stroke symptoms are quite different, and Bell's palsy is a comparatively harmless condition that usually clears up without treatment.

Causes

The mystery of Bell's palsy is just now being unravelled. Japanese research has found that 80% of cases can be traced to the common virus called herpes simplex 1, the virus that causes cold sores. The virus infects the seventh cranial (facial) nerve, which helps control the muscles associated with facial expression. As the nerve swells up, it starts to malfunction.

Some people are more prone to Bell's palsy than others. Your risk is higher if you have one of these conditions:

* a common cold or some other upper respiratory ailment
    * cold sores
    * diabetes
    * influenza
    * pregnancy
    * shingles (possibly)

Herpes zoster, the virus that causes shingles and chickenpox, hides in your nerve roots. Many experts believe this virus is responsible for some cases of Bell's palsy, but this theory is still controversial

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Alexander Graham Bell's genealogy [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone know where name GRAHAM came from, in Alexander Graham Bell's name? Someone said that it came from his grandfather, but I cannot locate this information.

Bells palsy [ 1 Answers ]

I have bell palsy 2 weeks ago and the doctor gave me steroids prednisone my period was due on the 11th of march but I have not had them.my boobs have come quite sore .I have had sex and my partner brought it out before he .I have done a home test and it says positive ,but could it be that my hcg is...

Child with Erb's Palsy. [ 3 Answers ]

I have recently began working with a child who has Erb's Palsy. I was wondering if anyone out there has any information on the illness. I understand that Erb's Palsy occurs due to complications at birth that often result in muscles, ligaments, and nerves being severed. Any advice or information...

View more questions Search