Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mcgrand39 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2007, 12:52 PM
    Yorkshire Terriers
    I have a yorkshire terrier and I was wondering she is three yrs. And in heat not registered but still want to register her but in the mean time she gets hooked up with a non-registered yorkie and ends up having pups can she still be bred with registered yorkies or what damage does it do? Do you have to wait to breed her again for how long?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 23, 2007, 01:14 PM
    Responsible people don't breed a dog more than once a year. They also do extensive reading and research to ascertain that the dog is free of genetic problems and will produce quality puppies before breeding it. That actually starts before buying it. Chances are, you didn't manage to buy an outstanding dog that is worth breeding. If you did your homework, you wouldn't be asking such a basic question. Likely the best thing is to get her spayed as soon as your vet will do it. And why does somebody have an intact, unregistered dog? He should be neutered at once. I hate to be so negative, but we are slaughtering 10,000,000 dogs a year for lack of homes. ''what damage does it do?'' That really bothers me and should bother everybody else.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Mar 23, 2007, 06:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgrand39
    I have a yorkshire terrier and i was wondering she is three yrs. and in heat not registered but still want to register her but in the mean time she gets hooked up with a non-registered yorkie and ends up having pups can she still be bred with registered yorkies or what damage does it do? Do you have to wait to breed her again for how long?

I agree with labman about breeding only once a year. And, with all the other stuff he stated. Please understand the we here on this forum are advocates for spay/neuter and really are uncomfortable when we hear these kinds of questions. Especially when it is apparent that a poster has not researched breeding thoroughly prior to breeding, and the ramifications to your pets overall health from breeding.

I am not sure what the reasoning is behind asking these questions. It is important to the answer. Does it stem from the concern as to the value of the puppies? If your yorkie has papers in place, do you think that you will be able to charge more? Or is it about advertising purebred puppies and transferring paperwork to a prospective buyer? Frankly, I am quite confused here.

Mcgrand, did you buy your yorkie from a pet store? If you did, then breeding with papers or not, really doesn't matter. Pet store puppies are usually either rejects from the good breeders, or bought from puppy mills whose sole objective is to churn out as many puppies as possible and make a quick buck. Puppy mills don't care about quality breeding. Quality breeders will not sell the puppies that are show material to a pet store.

So, I guess if you are breeding your dog and your concerns are centered around the dog being "spoiled" because an unregistered male bred with your dog, that does not even enter into the equation. If you intend to breed her with a registered male and are worried about how much money you can make off the puppies, we can't really help you here. I am very sorry. If your intentions are not that, please be a bit more specific with your questions or state what exactly your concern is, and we will try to help you as best as we can.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Boston Terriers [ 1 Answers ]

I hate to give an answer that may not be much help, but I must tell you how glad I am that you are giving a rescue dog a second chance. I hope you are working with a good rescue that will be sure to make a successful placement. Maybe your rescue would be the best place to find out about a good...

View more questions Search