Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cuatezon Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 4, 2012, 10:10 PM
    PHI, PII, HIPAA and other violations
    Long story short; my ex-girlfriend contacted my health insurance carrier. W/o my authorization, my health insurance carrier gave her substantial information about me and my wife and my other children health coverage, and, our DOBs, SS#, dates of coverage, etc. The health insurance company also gave my ex-girlfriend a certificate of coverage showing who was covered and when, and, also apparently gave her on-line access to my health insurance coverage, physician info, and personal health information. I have copies of some of the documents that the health insurance company gave to my ex-girlfriend.

I contacted the health insurance company and they have beat around the bush, downplayed the entire deal, and even denied providing information in writing to my ex-girlfriend. They have dragged their feet and still haven't even set up a protection of my health insurance so that my ex or anyone else cannot get further information! Its really egregious and its all documented.

What gov't agencies should I contact to have the health insurance company fined & penalized, and, can I sue the health insurance company for all of this?

Thanks.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Nov 5, 2012, 05:24 AM
    This does appear to be a HIPAA violation. Here is how to report it: Health Information Privacy

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Js it a Hipaa Violations to use someone else [ 3 Answers ]

Is it a Hipaa Violations to use someone else's password to submit a medical bill? I work for a Third party billing agency who is letting their employees go onto clients systems to bill and obtain patient data who does not have their own access. I am concerned as it is my name the hospital has on...

HIPAA Violations [ 3 Answers ]

I have coworkers at the hospital that I work who constantly snoop behind fellow coworkers in an attempt to start trouble. Complaints have been made that they are going through patients charts who they are not assigned to in order to find something on staff members. I feel this is a definite HIPAA...

Hipaa violations [ 3 Answers ]

Is it a violation of hipaa, if I take a picture of a patient that has been discharged?

Is it HIPAA Violations? [ 2 Answers ]

My husband was admitted in the hospital on a Tuesday and was transferred to another facility on Thursday at 3pm. Our family friend who worked nights shift (7pm-6am) in the same facility opened my husband profile in the computer on Thursday night and was able to get all the medical information she...

HIPAA Violations [ 2 Answers ]

Should all complaints regarding HIPAA violations be in writing? If you write a patients name on a whiteboard ,is that a HIPAA violation? How should you respond to a caller requesting information about a patient that does not want information released?

View more questions Search