Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    theduderoom Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 27, 2008, 12:13 AM
    Disputing UPS Freight Bill
    I recently had a product delivered via UPS LTL Freight for my business. The freight charges were paid in full prior to shipment. They attempted to deliver it to my Residential address, but no one was home, so they left. I called to have them redeliver the product, so they came back the same day and delivered it. They now have sent me a bill for a redelivery charge of $65. They claim on the invoice that I agreed verbally over the phone to accepting the charges. In any event, the reason I have a problem with the charges is I never knew when they were going to deliver the product in the first place, so it seems ridiculous to me to be charged for redelivery. It would be one thing if they called first and scheduled a delivery time for their initial attempt and I was not home to accept the package, but they did not do this. They just showed up at some random time and now are trying to charge me for redelivery. How can I dispute a charge with UPS, I don't want this to affect me credit?

I have gone through this similar thing, before with them where they tried to bill me additional money over a 30 days after the time of delivery, for a "collect money on delivery" package. I finally caved in and paid them, became they are very unresponsive to people disputing charges. But I do not want to cave in this time. This 65 dollar charge seem ridiculous. Any advice would be appreciated?

Thanks.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 27, 2008, 07:21 PM

Why would you have your residential address as the delivery address for your company in the first place? They have every right to bill you for the redelivery and no, they do not have to call you up and schedule a delivery. UPS is running a business. The onus was on you to be home to accept the delivery or have someone there accept it for you. Next time use your business address for your business deliveries so someone can be there to accept the delivery in the normal business operating hours.
    yysgirl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2008, 01:58 PM
    You definitely need to dispute it. We have been having problems with UPS delivery at our business location. UPS drivers have been repremanded by their supervisers for attempting to delivery beyond standard business hours and not leaving any notices. Actually, there was no attempt to deliver and the driver was trying to C.Y.A. The driver wrote 'no such address' and sent the product back to sender. There was never an attempt to call our office number. (UPS small package)

In a separate incident, we were billed a redelivery fee of $65.00. I called UPS Freight at 1-800-333-7400 to complain about this charge. There was no record that the attempted to call or contact us. We told them the recent problems we had been having with UPS and had no intention of paying for the driver's incompetence. The customer service agent submitted a request to void the charge.

Incompetence w/our UPS drivers and attempt to make it our fault and try to get additional payment. Don't pay it--COMPLAIN!
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Dec 3, 2008, 02:27 PM

You should dispute it based on the fact they delivered to the wrong address (your home and not your business) but make sure you provided them clear instructions on where the freight was supposed to go. If it was not clear then just pay it cause this is not their fault.

Also if they had the right address but no one was there it would be fair to bill a re-delivery fee. For LTL freight going to a company there is a general assumption that it is OK to deliver during work hours any weekday unless you specifically requested to be called before delivery.
    theduderoom Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2009, 10:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter View Post
    Why would you have your residential address as the delivery address for your company in the first place? They have every right to bill you for the redelivery and no, they do not have to call you up and schedule a delivery. UPS is running a business. The onus was on you to be home to accept the delivery or have someone there accept it for you. Next time use your business address for your business deliveries so someone can be there to accept the delivery in the normal business operating hours.
    The business is a home based business and I am not the one that contracted with UPS for the delivery. The business that had my product shipped and contracted with UPS to have my items shipped was told that I am a residential address, but yet UPS still tried to bill me the 3rd party in all of this. I told them they should be billing the company that contracted them for the redelivery fee since they messed up, but they refused.

I ended up discussing this with the UPS supervisors many times and they refused to do anything.

So, I made a BBB complaint and ultimately that solved the problem. They erased the charges and apologized to me.
    amb826 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2012, 10:11 AM
    I shipped from the states to Canada with Next Day Air, and I got my package in 5 days! I paid the invoice charged to my account at $158 in full for a package that usually gets in 2-3 days for $12 (UPS Standard). One month later I received an adjustment invoice of $30 due to "Dimensional Weight Increase"!

I called their billing and after 15 minutes of describing the issue, the lady told me that she cannot handle international disputes and gave me another number. I am going to call the new number to see what they are going to do.

Anyway I'm not going to ship with UPS anymore.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bid on freight [ 3 Answers ]

Where can a freight broker bid on freight online without double brokering

Disputing on line ? [ 8 Answers ]

I am disputing on line and had some things taken off all the CRAs, but I was also told that they can reoccur in 30 days!! I also wrote some collection agency's dispute/verification letters and noticed that they appear on my report / disputed by consumer. But the thing is if they come back...

Disputing Dr. Bills [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering if you can dispute DR. bills with the credit bureaus. I have heard that it is even illegal for it to be on there. Is this true. I have disputed Dr. bills before and they sent me a letter back saying they can't even remove it. Can anyone help me with this question?

Disputing lien [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Fr_Chuck, WOW! That was quick. Thank you. She got this judgement after I'd moved. I knew nothing about it until Feb of this year. I didn't go to court because I knew nothing about it.

View more questions Search